United States, Washington: The United States and Iran are nearing a draft framework that could extend a fragile ceasefire and open the door to further talks, according to reports cited by regional mediators and US outlets.
Axios reported Saturday that President Donald Trump said he was “50/50” on whether to accept Iran’s latest offer or resume military action. Trump said he would discuss the proposal with advisers, including Vice President JD Vance, Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, before making a decision by Sunday.
The Financial Times reported that mediators believe the sides are close to a 60-day extension of the ceasefire. The proposal would also set a framework for talks on Iran’s nuclear programme, including discussions on enriched uranium, the Strait of Hormuz and sanctions relief.
The Associated Press reported that regional officials and a diplomat said a draft memorandum of understanding, helped by Pakistan’s mediation, could be finalised within 48 hours. Iran described the proposal as a framework that could lead to a final deal within 30 to 60 days.
The draft had been sent to the leaders of both countries for final approval. It also said Pakistan’s civil and military leadership, including Field Marshal Asim Munir, played a mediation role in narrowing differences.
Read: US Iran Tensions Rise as Trump Teases Move
Qatar also sent mediators to Tehran as talks intensified over reopening the Strait of Hormuz, The Guardian reported. The outlet said Pakistan, Oman and Gulf states had been involved in efforts to prevent renewed US-Iran hostilities.
Key issues remain unresolved. Reports cited the fate of Iran’s nuclear programme, sanctions relief, the reopening of maritime routes and the status of Iranian ports as central points in the talks.