LONDON, United Kingdom: A London recycling plant fire involving about 50 tonnes of household waste disrupted rail services across southeast London after breaking out Tuesday evening.
London Fire Brigade said 15 fire engines and about 100 firefighters responded to the Landmann Way facility shortly before 8 pm BST on August 18.
Crews brought the blaze under control about six hours later. Firefighters used ladders to attack the flames from above, station commander Duncan Rees said.
Meanwhile, the fire severely damaged the recycling facility, according to the brigade.
Rail services were also disrupted because the site sits beside railway tracks. National Rail said trains between London Bridge and New Cross could face cancellations or delays of up to 100 minutes.
London Overground suspended Windrush line services between Surrey Quays and New Cross because of an unsafe structure near the railway. Other services also faced delays.
Read: UK Train Collision Kills 1, Injures 89 North Of London
The brigade received more than 160 reports about the fire. Crews came from East Greenwich, Old Kent Road, Deptford and nearby stations.
Firefighters had previously attended another blaze at the same facility in June. The London Fire Brigade said investigators had not yet determined the cause of Tuesday’s fire.