Iran’s latest peace proposal to the United States calls for sanctions relief, the release of frozen assets and an end to hostilities across the region, Iranian state media reported Tuesday.
Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran also sought the withdrawal of US forces from areas near Iran and an end to the US naval blockade, according to IRNA.
The proposal followed comments by US President Donald Trump, who said Monday he paused planned strikes on Iran after receiving a new offer from Tehran. Trump said there was now a “very good chance” of reaching an agreement over Iran’s nuclear programme.
Reuters reported it could not independently confirm whether military preparations had been underway before Trump halted the planned attacks. The talks come amid pressure to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, a major route for global oil shipments.
Trump said leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates urged him to delay military action because a deal remained possible. He made the comments in a social media post.
A Pakistani source confirmed Islamabad had conveyed Iran’s latest proposal to Washington after previously hosting talks between the two sides.
Read: Trump Iran Attack Pause Opens Door To Nuclear Deal
An Iranian official also suggested Washington had softened some demands during the negotiations. The United States agreed to release part of Iran’s frozen foreign assets and showed more flexibility on allowing limited peaceful nuclear activity under International Atomic Energy Agency supervision.
Trump had earlier rejected a previous Iranian proposal as “garbage,” but officials now say negotiations remain active despite a month-long deadlock.