Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    Shakira 2026 World Cup anthem
    Videos

    Shakira 2026 World Cup Anthem “Dai Dai” Featuring Burna Boy Unveiled

    May 8, 2026 2 Min Read
    Zayn Malik
    Videos

    Zayn Malik Releases Die For Me Music Video Ahead of New Album

    February 6, 2026 3 Min Read
    Masters of the Universe teaser
    Videos

    Masters of the Universe Teaser Reveals Nicholas Galitzine as He-Man

    January 22, 2026 3 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: All 955 miners trapped in S. Africa rescued
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
PhotoNews Pakistan > Top News > All 955 miners trapped in S. Africa rescued
Top NewsWorld

All 955 miners trapped in S. Africa rescued

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published February 2, 2018 4 Min Read
Share
SHARE

All 955 gold miners who were trapped underground for more than a day in South Africa following a power cut resurfaced unharmed on Friday, and were greeted by overjoyed relatives waiting at the site.

“Everybody’s out,” mine spokesman James Wellsted told AFP, adding that there were no deaths or serious injuries reported.

There were “cases of dehydration and high blood pressure but nothing serious”, he said.

The miners were stuck in the Beatrix gold mine, in the small town of Theunissen near the city of Welkom, for around 30 hours after a massive power outage caused by a storm prevented lifts from bringing workers on the night shift to the surface.

After several hours engineers were able to restore power, allowing the hoist to bring up the miners — who had been trapped since Wednesday evening — in batches.

The workers were all brought to the surface within two hours.

“It was stressful, there was not enough ventilation,” said mineworker Mike Khonto. “Thankfully our management managed to send us food and water.”

Wellsted said there was “no indication so far that anyone has been in distress”, although it was a “traumatic experience”.

A young woman, who spent the night anxiously waiting near the mine for news of her uncle, could not hide her joy.

“We are relieved,” she told AFP, without giving her name.

She had been among a group of miners’ relatives who gathered along the road leading to the shaft, and who were kept at a distance by security guards as they awaited developments.

Several ambulances arrived on-site overnight, said an AFP reporter at the scene.

‘Utterly unacceptable’

At sunrise, the rescued workers still in their work suits and helmets underwent medical check-ups and left by bus.

Despite the relief, the accident at Beatrix mine in Free State province, 290 kilometres (180 miles) southwest of Johannesburg, has reignited safety concerns at South African mines.

“We could have prevented it,” said one mineworker who asked not to be named.

“They should have had some generators that were working. Security is the least of their worries. They only care about production,” said the worker.

The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) has called on mineworkers to refuse to work in “dangerous conditions”.

“Major multinational corporations like Sibanye-Stillwater which should be industry leaders in creating a safety culture are doing far too little to prevent accidents,” the union said in a statement overnight.

A parliamentary committee on mining expressed outrage at the incident, calling for “drastic” action against the company.

It condemned as “utterly unacceptable” the lack of a backup plan to bring the workers to the surface.

The lawmakers on the committee called for “drastic actions to such acts of carelessness, including exploring possibilities of laying criminal charges against the management for attempted murder”.

But mine spokesman Wellsted told AFP that “this was a very unusual event. The generators were affected by the storm.”

– Depleting reserves –

Another group, the powerful National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA), said the mine should remain closed until a full investigation is conducted.

“They should not be allowed to operate until they can guarantee the safety of workers,” NUMSA said in a statement.

Last August five mineworkers died after sections of a gold mine collapsed outside Johannesburg.

The country possesses rich mineral reserves and has some of the world’s deepest gold mines.

Gold was for many decades the backbone of South Africa’s economy, but production has declined sharply due to depletion of reserves. (AFP)

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

Senator Bill Cassidy speaks to supporters with his wife, Laura Cassidy, standing beside him as he concedes defeat in his primary election.

Bill Cassidy Primary Loss Sends Letlow to Runoff

Neymar gestures toward a camera after being taken off in the 68th minute of a football match.

Neymar World Cup Squad Hopes Rise After Fitness Claim

A damaged building and piles of debris are seen at night after a 5.2-magnitude earthquake hit Liuzhou’s Liunan district in Guangxi, China.

China Earthquake Kills 2, Collapses 13 Buildings

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Isomorphic Labs
Tech

Isomorphic Labs Funding Hits $2.1 Billion In AI Drug Push

2 Min Read
A driver’s view shows a highway through a car windshield, with digital self-driving, navigation, sensor and vehicle-data graphics overlaid on the dashboard.
Tech

Connected Car Data Raises Driver Privacy Concerns

1 Min Read
China and USA Flags
Business

China-US Trade Talks Open In South Korea Before Summit

1 Min Read
BusinessTop News

Europe Jet Fuel Prices Double As Airlines Reassure

European airlines, airports and tour operators said Europe's jet fuel supplies remain sufficient for summer travel…

May 15, 2026
Entertainment

Dark Horse Bolsonaro Film Hit By Funding Scandal

Jim Caviezel’s Dark Horse Bolsonaro film became entangled in Brazil’s Banco Master scandal after Senator Flávio…

May 16, 2026
Sports

France World Cup Squad: Deschamps Names 26 Players

Didier Deschamps named France’s World Cup squad for the FIFA World Cup 2026, with seven Premier League…

May 15, 2026
Offbeat

Epstein Files Exhibit Opens With 3.5 Million Pages

An Epstein files exhibit in New York is displaying about 3.5 million pages of US Department…

May 12, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?