Tulsi Gabbard’s resignation plans will take effect June 30 after the U.S. Director of National Intelligence said her husband had a rare form of bone cancer.
Gabbard informed President Donald Trump during an Oval Office meeting on Friday, according to Fox News Digital.
In a resignation letter posted on X, Gabbard said she was “deeply grateful” for Trump’s trust and for the chance to lead the Office of the Director of National Intelligence for the past year and a half. She said she could not ask her husband to face the illness alone while she continued in the demanding role.
Trump said on Truth Social that Principal Deputy Director of National Intelligence Aaron Lukas would serve as acting director. He said Gabbard had done “a great job” and supported her decision to focus on her husband’s health.
Read: Joe Kent, Head of the National Counterterrorism Centre, Resigns
A source familiar with the matter said Gabbard had been forced out by the White House. Trump has previously signalled differences with Gabbard over Iran, saying in March that she was “softer” than him on curbing Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.