President Donald Trump said Thursday that preventing an Iranian nuclear weapon remained the central objective of the US campaign against Tehran, claiming the country would use such a weapon if it obtained one.
Trump made the remarks during an interview on Michael Cohen’s 77 WABC radio programme. “They would absolutely use the nuclear weapon without question,” Trump said while describing Iran as a continuing threat to Israel and the wider Middle East.
Trump also claimed Iran had been about two weeks away from developing a new nuclear weapon when he ordered US strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities in June 2025.
The US military targeted Fordow, Natanz and Isfahan during that operation using B-2 stealth bombers and bunker-busting weapons.
However, independent evidence supporting Trump’s two-week estimate or his assertion that Iran would certainly use a nuclear weapon.
Trump also said the loss of Iranian military capabilities and senior leaders had made reaching an agreement with Tehran more difficult.
Read: US-Iran War Was a Big Mistake, Ex-Negotiator Moniz Says
Meanwhile, Vice President JD Vance said Washington had entered a new phase focused heavily on economic pressure designed to prevent Iran from rebuilding its nuclear and military capabilities.
Read: Trump Iran Sanctions Threat Targets Countries Aiding Tehran
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said the administration was preparing tougher sanctions as part of that strategy. As of Wednesday, Trump said no talks with Iran had been scheduled.