Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    Shakira 2026 World Cup anthem
    Videos

    Shakira 2026 World Cup Anthem “Dai Dai” Featuring Burna Boy Unveiled

    May 8, 2026 2 Min Read
    Zayn Malik
    Videos

    Zayn Malik Releases Die For Me Music Video Ahead of New Album

    February 6, 2026 3 Min Read
    Masters of the Universe teaser
    Videos

    Masters of the Universe Teaser Reveals Nicholas Galitzine as He-Man

    January 22, 2026 3 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Royal purge: Saudi Arabia’s ‘5-star prison’
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
PhotoNews Pakistan > Top News > Royal purge: Saudi Arabia’s ‘5-star prison’
Top NewsWorld

Royal purge: Saudi Arabia’s ‘5-star prison’

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published November 10, 2017 4 Min Read
Share
SHARE

Its chandelier-studded ballrooms hosted global business titans just weeks ago. Now Riyadh’s palatial Ritz-Carlton is reported to have morphed into a makeshift prison after the kingdom’s unprecedented crackdown on the coddled elite.

Saudi Arabia’s attorney general has vowed no special treatment for those detained in the purge, which includes princes, ministers and businessmen such as flamboyant billionaire tycoon Al-Waleed bin Talal.

But the five-star hotel spread over 52 acres, originally built to house guests of the royal family, is a far cry from a gritty prison cell – it boasts of majestic suites and pastel-hued hallways awash with bronze statues and glittering chandeliers.

It has prompted light-hearted banter on social media, with jocular speculation on who would be added to the “Ritz guest list” as the crackdown expands, and some quipping “take us with you” to be incarcerated in the lavish hotel.

“Those people are as soft as butter and probably cannot survive a real prison,” a Saudi man said on Twitter, referring to the elite detainees.

The attorney general has said some 201 people are being held for questioning over an estimated $100 billion in embezzlement and corruption, many of them subjected to detailed interrogations conducted in secret.

It is not clear if they are all being held at the Ritz-Carlton.

Police cars surround the palatial compound, with its imposing gates uncharacteristically clamped shut. Its website posted a message saying that the “hotel’s telephone lines are currently disconnected until further notice”.

Royal purge, royal privileges

There’s no official indication how long the group will remain under house arrest.

Last Sunday, the 492-room hotel’s online reservation page showed no availability until December. On Friday, it showed no availability until February 1, fuelling speculation that the “guest list” was expected to grow.

A Saudi businessman who had planned to host an event at the hotel this week was abruptly informed it had been cancelled.

“Due to unforeseen circumstances out of the Ritz-Carlton, the hotel had been ordered to accommodate a high-profile government delegation beginning November 4, 2017,” he told AFP, quoting a message from the hotel management.

A brief and shaky video allegedly leaked from inside the hotel showed people sleeping on the ground covered in brightly coloured blankets, while armed guards lurked in the background.

The New York Times identified the place as the hotel’s “Ballroom B”, saying it appeared to be a makeshift barracks for the guards.

The arrests of jet-setting members of the royal family have sent a ripple of anxiety through the kingdom.

Saudi forces have grounded private jets at airports, possibly to prevent high-profile figures from leaving the country, an aviation source said, provoking fears of more arrests.

Just weeks ago, the hotel hosted a glittering investment summit – dubbed “Davos in the desert” – which Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman used as a platform to pledge a “moderate” Saudi Arabia and to showcase his ambitious reform drive.

The crackdown has exposed the kingdom’s once-untouchable elite to rare public scrutiny – Saudis on social media have quipped that the Ritz-Carlton was not the worst place to be trapped. (AFP)

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

An illustrative image showcases Iran’s national flag alongside oil barrels.

US Iran Deal Stalls As Brent Tops $111 A Barrel

A severely burned car sits in a driveway outside a fire-damaged building following a reported arson incident in Melbourne.

Melbourne Arson Attacks Bring 51 Arrests In Probe

A black car belonging to Malik Tariq Khan, chief of Ahmedzai Wazir, shows extensive damage and impact marks on its doors and windows.

Wana Market Blast Kills Three in South Waziristan

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert and President Donald Trump appear side by side in a composite news-style image.
Top NewsWorld

Trump Threatens Primary Challenger Against Boebert

2 Min Read
Placard displaying "Exam Alert" prominently, with a pencil and white paper in the background
Pakistan

Cambridge A-Level Maths Paper Postponed In Pakistan

2 Min Read
Charred mud-brick structures, ash and burned debris cover a damaged compound after an arson incident in Jacobabad, Sindh.
Sindh

Jacobabad Arson Incident Prompts Sindh Action

2 Min Read
Top NewsWorld

Who is Abu Bilal Al Minuki Killed In US-Nigeria Operation?

President Donald Trump said Abu-Bilal al-Minuki was killed in a joint US-Nigerian military operation on Friday,…

May 16, 2026
Sports

Babar Azam Second Test Return Boosts Pakistan

Pakistan will have Babar Azam available for the second Test against Bangladesh at Sylhet International Cricket Stadium from…

May 15, 2026
Pakistan

Motorway Animal Transport Ban Imposed for Eid

Central Region motorway authorities imposed a complete ban on vehicles carrying sacrificial animals entering motorways during…

May 17, 2026
Offbeat

Chick-fil-A Franchisee Sued Over Sabbath Request

A Chick-fil-A franchisee sued by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission allegedly denied a worker’s Sabbath…

May 16, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?