Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    GA-20 and Grammy-winning musician Charlie Musselwhite perform “I Can’t Hold Out” during CBS Saturday Morning’s Saturday Sessions on August 1.
    Videos

    GA-20 and Charlie Musselwhite Perform ‘I Can’t Hold Out’

    August 2, 2026 1 Min Read
    Ricky Gervais Alley Cats official Netflix trailer
    Videos

    Ricky Gervais ‘Alley Cats’ Trailer Sets August 7 Debut

    July 23, 2026 2 Min Read
    Sam Fender Olivia Dean break UK chart record with Rein Me In after 16 weeks at No. 1.
    Videos

    Sam Fender, Olivia Dean Break 30-Year UK Chart Record

    July 12, 2026 2 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Rio mayor tears into organizers over snags at Olympic village
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
Eduardo Paes
PhotoNews Pakistan > World > Rio mayor tears into organizers over snags at Olympic village
World

Rio mayor tears into organizers over snags at Olympic village

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published July 30, 2016 3 Min Read
Share
SHARE

Eduardo Paes, Mayor of Rio de Janeiro, lashed out at the city’s Olympics organizing committee, accusing it of “serious problems” in managing the crisis-plagued athletes’ village.

In a rare show of disunity a week before the Games, Paes blamed the Rio 2016 committee for a slew of problems at the village, which has been his public relations nightmare all week.

“The athletes’ village was ready. Then the organizing committee took charge for three months, and there were extremely serious management problems. During those three months, people intruded into the apartments and a lot of things were stolen,” he said in an interview with newspaper O Estado de Sao Paulo.

“The doors were left half-open. The organizing committee was careless, objectively speaking.”

He said his office was informed of the problems only on Thursday last week, despite a series of weekly meetings between his staff and the organizing committee.

Paes’s week got off to a rough start Sunday when the Olympic village opened to a boycott from Australia, which refused to move in because of exposed wiring, leaking pipes, blocked toilets, unlighted stairwells and other problems.

The mayor’s ensuing quip that he would have a kangaroo placed outside to make the Australians feel at home did not go down well, exploding into a controversy dubbed #kangaroogate on Twitter.

Paes and the Australian delegation chief, Kitty Chiller, buried the hatchet Wednesday, when he apologized for the construction hiccups and presented her a symbolic key to the city.

She gave him a stuffed kangaroo in return. In similar tongue-in-cheek style, the Australians have also installed a kangaroo statue outside the village, alongside an ersatz emu.

But Paes was clearly still smarting from Sunday’s controversy. “It was an unacceptable mistake. Which is too bad, because that was the launch of the Olympics,” he said.

“It wasn’t a Brazilian in charge of the Olympic village. Only foreigners,” he added. “At least people can’t say the Brazilians are disorganized. The boss was (Argentine national) Mario Cilenti.”

Cilenti, a sporting event manager serving as executive director of the athletes’ village, has reportedly been sacked from the job, according to Brazilian media. Rio2016 has not confirmed the reports.

The organizing committee did not immediately reply to requests for comment on Paes’s interview.

Brazilian media reports have blamed disgruntled workers for the problems at the village, allegedly the result of sabotage aimed at exacting revenge for salary delays.

Fifteen of the 31 buildings had plumbing problems, ranging from leaks to toilets clogged by cement blocks. More than 600 plumbers were dispatched to make emergency repairs.

Stoking further controversy, the Brazilian labor ministry said the emergency hires did not have proper working conditions and contracts. Rio2016 said all problems with the village were fixed by Thursday evening. (AFP)

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

Global markets fall as Brent crude jumps with red stock charts, oil barrel and rising crude price graph

Oil Prices Rise as US-Iran Ceasefire Hopes Fade

USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier with fighter jets at sea.

USS Abraham Lincoln Conditions Draw Bipartisan Scrutiny

US automakers missiles plan was floated by Trump, who said Ford and General Motors could help expand defence production.

BBC Trump Subpoenas Seek Testimony From Three Family Members

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Chief Minister Amjad Hussain inaugurates Gilgit-Baltistan Citizen Complaint Cell.
Gilgit - Baltistan

Gilgit-Baltistan Citizen Complaint Cell Opens in Gilgit

1 Min Read
Women’s Asia Cup cricket tournament logo
Sports

Pakistan Women Squads Named for Asia Cup, Asian Games

4 Min Read
US-Pakistan port investment webinar 2025
Pakistan

Pakistan-US Ties Win Unanimous Backing in California Senate

1 Min Read
World

US Yemen Strikes in April 2025 Killed 153 Civilians, Pentagon Confirmed

Washington: US Yemen strikes killed 153 civilians and injured 243 across three April 2025 attacks, according…

August 15, 2026
Entertainment

Ginnifer Goodwin Confirms ‘Zootopia 3’ at D23 2026

ANAHEIM, Calif.: Actor Ginnifer Goodwin and actor Ke Huy Quan announced Friday that “Zootopia 3” had…

August 15, 2026
World

Karoline Leavitt Decoy Claim Draws US Denial in Washington

WASHINGTON, United States, North America: The White House denied a claim involving Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt…

August 14, 2026
Pakistan

Mir Raza Ali Devices Handed to NCCIA for Forensic Review

KARACHI, Sindh: Mir Raza Ali’s smartwatch and mobile phone have been handed to the National Cyber…

August 13, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?