Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    GA-20 and Grammy-winning musician Charlie Musselwhite perform “I Can’t Hold Out” during CBS Saturday Morning’s Saturday Sessions on August 1.
    Videos

    GA-20 and Charlie Musselwhite Perform ‘I Can’t Hold Out’

    August 2, 2026 1 Min Read
    Ricky Gervais Alley Cats official Netflix trailer
    Videos

    Ricky Gervais ‘Alley Cats’ Trailer Sets August 7 Debut

    July 23, 2026 2 Min Read
    Sam Fender Olivia Dean break UK chart record with Rein Me In after 16 weeks at No. 1.
    Videos

    Sam Fender, Olivia Dean Break 30-Year UK Chart Record

    July 12, 2026 2 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Red Cross says situation ‘catastrophic’ in Yemen’s Aden
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
PhotoNews Pakistan > World > Red Cross says situation ‘catastrophic’ in Yemen’s Aden
World

Red Cross says situation ‘catastrophic’ in Yemen’s Aden

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published April 8, 2015 6 Min Read
Share
SHARE

Aden: The Red Cross warned Tuesday of a “catastrophic” situation in Yemen´s main southern city Aden, as forces loyal to the president battled Houthi rebels in the streets.

The rebels and their allies made a new push on a port in the central Mualla district of the city but were forced back by militia loyal to President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi, witnesses said.

Naval forces of the Saudi-led coalition, which has carried out nearly two weeks of air strikes in support of Hadi, shelled rebel positions across the city, the witnesses said.

But the coalition denied launching naval combat.

“We did not at any time mention that we have a sea operation, other than the control of the ports and the movement in the maritime zone around Yemen,” Brigadier General Ahmed Assiri told reporters in Riyadh, referring to a maritime blockade.

International Committee of the Red Cross spokeswoman Marie Claire Feghali said the humanitarian situation across Yemen was “very difficult… (with) naval, air and ground routes cut off.”

The situation in Aden was “catastrophic to say the least”. “The war in Aden is on every street, in every corner… Many are unable to escape,” she said.

Assiri, however, said many parts of the city remained “stable”.

Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said the situation was “worsening by the day”.

Medics in Aden had “not received large numbers of casualties over the past few days… due to the difficulties faced in trying to reach a hospital,” said MSF´s Marie-Elisabeth Ingres.

MSF has a team of 140 local staff and eight expatriates at a hospital in Aden.

“Our priority is to find a way to send a supporting medical team,” Ingres told AFP, adding a team was waiting in Djibouti “for a green light from the coalition”.

Assiri said later that permits had been issued for a boat carrying aid and medics from Djibouti.

The Red Cross hopes to deliver to Sana’a on Wednesday 16 tonnes of medical aid on a plane loaded in Jordan. Another plane carrying twice as much could follow the next day.

Death toll mounts

Two students were killed and several others wounded Tuesday when a rocket hit a school near Al-Hamza military base in the southwestern Ibb province, an official said, adding it was unclear if the school was hit in an air strike or by Huothi artillery.

Rebel-controlled Saba news agency accused coalition warplanes of hitting the school. Also, coalition strikes killed at least eight Huthis north of Aden, a military source said.

Raids also targeted air defence posts in Taez province, as well as Al-Sadrayn military base in Daleh province.

Meanwhile, 10 Huothis and three tribesmen were killed in Shabwa, said tribal sources.

Fighting in Aden left at least 10 people dead, adding to the 53 people killed in the previous 24 hours. Nationwide, more than 540 people have been killed and 1,700 wounded since March 19, the World Health Organisation said.

The UN said at least 74 children had been killed since the coalition strikes began on March 26, adding the real figure was thought to be much higher. More than 100,000 people had been displaced.

On Monday night, Saudi-led warplanes struck the rebel-held Al-Anad air base north of Aden, a general said.

To the east, Al-Qaeda´s Yemen franchise sought to tighten its grip on Hadramawt province.

Loud explosions were heard as the jihadists attacked an army base in the provincial capital Mukalla, much of which they captured last week.

Observers have warned Al-Qaeda could exploit the fighting to expand its control following the withdrawal of US troops overseeing a longstanding drone war against it.

US ‘expedites weapons deliveries’

The US, which sees Al-Qaeda´s Yemen franchise as its most dangerous, has “expedited weapons deliveries” in support of the Saudi-led coalition, said Deputy Secretary of State Antony Blinken.

The evacuation of foreigners continued with three Indian planes carrying 604 passengers, including some Yemenis, from Sana’a to Djibouti.

Pakistan’s navy also said it evacuated 146 nationals and 36 foreigners.

Islamabad said it would take its time deciding whether to accept a Saudi request to join the coalition, which so far consists of nine Arab countries.

Pakistan’s neighbour Iran has strongly criticised the intervention and rejected its accusations of arming the rebels.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said Pakistan was “not in a hurry” to decide and that diplomatic efforts were under way involving Turkey and Iran.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who has expressed support for the coalition without providing military forces, held talks in Tehran on Tuesday.

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif is expected in Islamabad on Wednesday.

Pakistan faces a tricky dilemma, as it has long enjoyed close ties with Riyadh and has benefited hugely from the oil-rich kingdom´s largesse.

But it has called for a negotiated solution saying it does not want to take part in any conflict that would worsen sectarian divisions in the Muslim world.

 

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Bank Alfalah Pehchan account

Recent Posts

Higher Canada tariffs illustrated by US and Canadian cargo containers as wildfire smoke crosses the border

US-Canada Tariffs Hit 50% as Trade Talks Collapse

USA TikTok Deal 2025

TikTok Privacy Settlement Reaches $400 Million in the US

Klay Thompson playing for the Dallas Mavericks

Klay Thompson Miami Heat Move Follows Mavericks Buyout

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Oil leak repair work on Street 13 in Karachi’s Defence area
Sindh

Karachi Oil Pipeline Leak Spills Crude Across DHA Road

2 Min Read
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi arriving in St. Petersburg, Russia, before a scheduled meeting with Vladimir Putin.
World

Iran Sanctions Pressure ‘Doomed to Fail’, Araghchi Says

2 Min Read
IESCO power suspension schedule
Pakistan

IESCO Power Suspension Announced for Multiple Areas on Sunday

2 Min Read
Entertainment

Jenna Ortega’s Awkward Moment: Guard Leaves SUV Door Open

Actor Jenna Ortega’s awkward moment from May 2025 has resurfaced online, showing her turning back to…

August 16, 2026
Pakistan

Imran Khan Medical Report Prompts Alvi Hospital Call

ISLAMABAD: Imran Khan's medical report prompted former president Dr Arif Alvi to seek his immediate transfer…

August 18, 2026
Entertainment

Kanye West OK Video Puts Ye in Headless Operating-Room Scene

Rapper Kanye West’s “OK” video with Don Toliver has been released, featuring a horror-inspired operating-room concept…

August 19, 2026
World

Netanyahu Backs US Sanctions On ICC, Calls Court ‘Kangaroo’

JERUSALEM: Netanyahu's ICC sanctions comments praised US action against two senior court officials, as the Israeli…

August 19, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?