German Chancellor Angela Merkel will convene her security council Saturday to address the deadly shooting rampage in Munich, her chief of staff Peter Altmaier said.
Altmaier told ZDF public television on Friday that Merkel was being “constantly briefed” on developments in the southern city, where police say at least eight people were killed and up to three gunmen were still at large.
“The cabinet ministers concerned are on their way to Berlin,” he added.
Beyond the chancellor and her chief of staff, the German security council includes the ministers for foreign affairs, defence and interior affairs as well as other top officials.
Read: Six people confirmed dead in Munich shooting, several injured
Altmaier said the council would “compile all information available and evaluate it”.
“We are determined to do everything we can so that terror and inhuman violence stand no chance in Germany,” he said.
“Our thoughts are with the victims of the attack, with their loved ones and also with the police who are defending freedom and security.”
Read: Obama vows support for Germany after Munich shooting
Merkel had been due to start holidays in the Alps, while her Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere, on a flight to New York when the shootings began, was heading back to Berlin. – AFP