Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    GA-20 and Grammy-winning musician Charlie Musselwhite perform “I Can’t Hold Out” during CBS Saturday Morning’s Saturday Sessions on August 1.
    Videos

    GA-20 and Charlie Musselwhite Perform ‘I Can’t Hold Out’

    August 2, 2026 1 Min Read
    Ricky Gervais Alley Cats official Netflix trailer
    Videos

    Ricky Gervais ‘Alley Cats’ Trailer Sets August 7 Debut

    July 23, 2026 2 Min Read
    Sam Fender Olivia Dean break UK chart record with Rein Me In after 16 weeks at No. 1.
    Videos

    Sam Fender, Olivia Dean Break 30-Year UK Chart Record

    July 12, 2026 2 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Man removed from UK flight because of ‘prayer’ message on phone
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
plane
PhotoNews Pakistan > World > Man removed from UK flight because of ‘prayer’ message on phone
World

Man removed from UK flight because of ‘prayer’ message on phone

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published March 4, 2016 4 Min Read
Share
SHARE

A UK citizen was summarily removed from a plane by armed police at Luton airport, United Kingdom last week after a fellow passenger read a message on his phone about ‘prayer’ and reported him as a security threat.

Laolu Opebiyi, a Nigerian-born Christian, believes the passenger next to him on an easyJet flight assumed he was a Muslim and jumped to the conclusion that he may be a terrorist.

The 40 year-old from London was forced to hand over his phone and supply his password in order to establish his innocence after he tried to arrange a conference call prayer with friends using WhatsApp.

Even though a detective cleared him, the pilot refused to allow him back onto the plane to Amsterdam and he was left with no choice but to wait more than three hours for the next scheduled departure.

“That guy doesn’t know me and within two minutes he’s judging me. Even if I was a Muslim, it was pretty unfair the way I was treated. I don’t think anyone, irrespective of their religion should be treated in such a way,” he told the Guardian.

“If we keep on giving into this kind of bigotry and irrational fear, I dare say that the terrorists will have achieved their aim,” he added.

During questioning, Opebiyi explained that he was a Christian, showing them a copy of the Bible in his bag. “They asked me which church I attend and how long I have been going there. They also ask if I have ever thought about changing my religion to which I replied ‘no’.”

He was also asked about the name of the conference call prayer group, which was “ISI men” – an acronym for “iron sharpens iron”, from the Bible quote: “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.” The passenger who reported Opebiyi may have misread this as “ISIS”, an acronym for Islamic State.

Opebiyi, who is a business analyst, was then escorted by an officer to an easyJet desk to help him get on the next flight. Seven other passengers from the same flight also joined the queue as they had left the plane because of security fears.

Opebiyi said one of them spotted him and said, “If he is on the next flight, I am not getting on the flight.”

The 40-year-old now fears that he is on a terrorist watchlist because when he returned the next day from his business trip, the electronic passport gate did not let him through and he had to speak to an immigration officer before proceeding.

“Someone felt I was a terrorist because they saw the word ‘prayer’ on my phone and now I stand in uncertainty about my freedom of movement in and out of the United Kingdom,” he said.

An easyJet spokesperson said, “The safety and security of its passengers and crew is our highest priority which means that if a security concern is raised we will always investigate it as a precautionary measure. We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused to the passenger.”

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

Higher Canada tariffs illustrated by US and Canadian cargo containers as wildfire smoke crosses the border

Canada Tariff Pause Delays 50% Levy For Three Days

Daniel Craig acting after James Bond

Nicholas Pinnock Says James Bond Should Remain A White Man

US and South Korean soldiers during a joint military drill on a river

South Korea-US Drills Cut After Trump Order, Seoul Says

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Iran nuclear deal
Top NewsWorld

Russia Arms Shipments to Iran Use Caspian Route: Report

2 Min Read
Portia jumping spider with eight eyes on a green leaf.
Offbeat

Portia Jumping Spiders Plan Hunts With Tiny Brains

2 Min Read
MG ZS and MG HS Super Hybrid SUVs displayed side by side.
Pakistan

MG ZS Pakistan Launch Sets Prices From Rs6.599 Million

2 Min Read
World

Karoline Leavitt to Leave White House Press Secretary Role

WASHINGTON, United States: White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt will leave her position at the end…

August 13, 2026
Punjab

Khanewal Bride Killing: Father Held, Brothers Booked

KHANEWAL, Punjab: Police arrested a newlywed woman’s father over the Khanewal bride killing, alleging she was…

August 13, 2026
Top NewsWorld

Zimbabwe Ferry Death Toll Rises to 68; 18 Children Killed

HARARE: The Zimbabwe ferry death toll rose to 68 Saturday after crews recovered 22 more bodies…

August 16, 2026
World

Karoline Leavitt Decoy Claim Draws US Denial in Washington

WASHINGTON, United States, North America: The White House denied a claim involving Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt…

August 14, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?