US President Donald Trump announced a tariff pause on Canada late Tuesday, delaying planned 50% duties on selected Canadian goods for three days.
Trump said on Truth Social that the tariffs had been due to begin Wednesday morning. He said the United States and Canada had reached a deal, subject to final documents.
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney also confirmed the delay. He said Washington postponed the tariffs until the end of August 21.
The measures cover about C$30 billion, or roughly USD 22 billion, in Canadian goods. Carney said both countries had held intensive trade talks in recent weeks. He added that negotiators had made “substantial progress,” although important work remained.
Read: Polysilicon Tariff: Trump Sets 15% Levy, Price Floors
Meanwhile, Trump suggested the agreement could also revive the Keystone XL pipeline. The cross-border energy project was cancelled during the previous US administration.
Read: Trump Threatens Higher Canada Tariffs Over Wildfire Smoke
However, neither side said the trade agreement had been fully completed. Canada said negotiations would continue while it focused on protecting businesses, workers, farmers and families.