China, Beijing: A China coal mine blast killed at least eight workers and left 38 trapped underground at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, state media reported Saturday.
The gas explosion happened at 7:29 pm Friday local time in Qinyuan County, Changzhi city, according to Xinhua News Agency. That was 4:29 pm Friday in Pakistan Standard Time.
Xinhua said 247 workers were underground when the blast occurred. As of 6am Saturday local time, rescuers had brought 201 workers safely to the surface, while search-and-rescue operations continued.
Local emergency management authorities confirmed eight deaths and 38 trapped workers, Xinhua reported. Earlier state media reports said carbon monoxide levels at the mine had exceeded limits and some trapped workers were in critical condition.
Read: Explosion Traps Miners in Balochistan Coal Field
President Xi Jinping of China ordered “all-out efforts” to rescue trapped workers, treat the injured and investigate the cause of the explosion, Xinhua said. He also urged authorities to strengthen workplace safety and prevent major accidents.
Shanxi is China’s main coal-producing province. The Associated Press reported that miners in the province produced about 1.3 billion tons of coal last year, nearly one-third of China’s total output