BRUSSELS, Belgium: A NATO Iran threat warning followed reports Wednesday that Tehran had considered strikes on US military assets in Europe if Washington escalated the conflict.
A NATO official said the alliance was ready to address any threat. The official added that NATO would take necessary action to defend all members.
The alliance also cited four earlier interceptions of ballistic missiles heading toward Türkiye from Iran. NATO said those incidents showed that its air defences remained effective. Meanwhile, media reports said Iranian forces had assessed possible US targets in southeastern Europe.
Bulgaria was among the locations mentioned. Bulgaria approved the use of Bezmer Air Base by US refuelling aircraft last month.
Read: NATO Trump Iran policy backed by Mark Rutte
Greek-administered Southern Cyprus was also cited as a possible target. A British air base there was hit by a drone in March.
The reports come as negotiations between Tehran and Washington remain stalled. President Donald Trump of the United States said Tuesday that no talks were underway or scheduled.
Read: Iran Europe Strike Options Include US Assets, FT Reports
Iranian military officials have previously said bases used to launch attacks on Iran could become targets. June memorandum between Iran and the United States later broke down amid accusations of violations from both sides.