Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    GA-20 and Grammy-winning musician Charlie Musselwhite perform “I Can’t Hold Out” during CBS Saturday Morning’s Saturday Sessions on August 1.
    Videos

    GA-20 and Charlie Musselwhite Perform ‘I Can’t Hold Out’

    August 2, 2026 1 Min Read
    Ricky Gervais Alley Cats official Netflix trailer
    Videos

    Ricky Gervais ‘Alley Cats’ Trailer Sets August 7 Debut

    July 23, 2026 2 Min Read
    Sam Fender Olivia Dean break UK chart record with Rein Me In after 16 weeks at No. 1.
    Videos

    Sam Fender, Olivia Dean Break 30-Year UK Chart Record

    July 12, 2026 2 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: 3 Islamic State suspected suicide bombers kill 36 at Istanbul airport
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
IS attack at Istanbul Ataturk
PhotoNews Pakistan > Top News > 3 Islamic State suspected suicide bombers kill 36 at Istanbul airport
Top News

3 Islamic State suspected suicide bombers kill 36 at Istanbul airport

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published June 29, 2016 6 Min Read
Share
SHARE

Three suicide bombers opened fire before blowing themselves up at the entrance to the main international airport in Istanbul on Tuesday, killing 36 people and wounding dozens more, the provincial governor said.

Police fired shots to try to stop two of the attackers just before they reached a security checkpoint at the arrivals hall at Ataturk airport, Europe’s third-busiest, but they blew themselves up, a second Turkish official said.

Istanbul Governor Vasip Sahin told reporters that 28 people had been killed and around 60 wounded. Several witnesses reported two explosions but Sahin said authorities believed there may have been three suicide bombers.

“There was a huge explosion, extremely loud. The roof came down. Inside the airport it is terrible, you can’t recognize it, the damage is big,” said Ali Tekin, who was at the arrivals hall waiting for a guest when the attack took place.

German woman named Duygu, who was at passport control entering Turkey, said she threw herself onto the floor with the sound of the explosion. Several witnesses also reported hearing gunfire shortly before the attacks.

“Everyone started running away. Everywhere was covered with blood and body parts. I saw bullet holes on the doors,” she said outside the airport.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, the latest in a string of suicide bombings this year, but the Dogan news agency said initial indications suggested Islamic State may have been responsible, citing police sources.

A Turkish official said it was too soon to assign blame.

The attack bore some similarities to a suicide bombing by Islamic State militants at Brussels airport in March which killed 16 people. A coordinated attack also targeted a rush-hour metro train, killing a further 16 people in the Belgian capital.

AIRPORT EVACUATED

Speaking in parliament earlier, Turkish Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag said initial information suggested one attacker had initially opened fire with an automatic rifle.

“According to information I have received, at the entrance to the Ataturk Airport international terminal a terrorist first opened fire with a Kalashnikov and then blew themself up,” he said in comments broadcast by CNN Turk.

The state-run Anadolu agency said six of those wounded had sustained serious injuries.

Ataturk is Turkey’s largest airport and a major transport hub for international travelers. Pictures posted on social media from the site showed wounded people lying on the ground inside and outside one of the terminal buildings.

A helicopter buzzed overhead as police evacuated the building. Dozens of passengers walked back down access roads with their luggage, trying to hail cabs. The U.S. embassy urged U.S citizens to avoid the area.

A witness told Reuters that security officials prevented his taxi and other cars from entering the airport at around 9:50 pm (1850 GMT). Drivers leaving the terminal shouted “Don’t enter! A bomb exploded!” from their windows to incoming traffic, he said.

Television footage showed ambulances rushing to the scene. One witness told CNN Turk that gunfire was heard from the car park at the airport. Taxis were ferrying wounded people from the airport, the witness said.

FLIGHTS HALTED

The head of Red Crescent, Kerem Kinik, said on CNN Turk that people should go to blood donation centers and not hospitals to give blood and called on people to avoid main roads to the airport to avoid blocking path of emergency vehicles.

Authorities halted the takeoff of scheduled flights from the airport and passengers were transferred to hotels, a Turkish Airlines official said. Earlier an airport official said some flights to the airport had been diverted.

In the United States, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey reacted to the explosions by putting armed, high-visibility patrols at the three main airports in the New York metropolitan region.

Turkey has suffered a spate of bombings this year, including two suicide attacks in tourist areas of Istanbul blamed on Islamic State, and two car bombings in the capital, Ankara, which were claimed by a Kurdish militant group.

In the most recent attack, a car bomb ripped through a police bus in central Istanbul during the morning rush hour, killing 11 people and wounding 36 near the main tourist district, a major university and the mayor’s office.

Turkey, which is part of the U.S.-led coalition against Islamic State, is also fighting Kurdish militants in its largely Kurdish southeast.

One person was killed on Dec. 23, 2015, when an explosion hit Istanbul’s second airport, Sabiha Gokcen, located on the Asian side of the city. That attack was claimed by a Kurdish militant group. (Reuters)

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Bank Alfalah Pehchan account

Recent Posts

Edhi worker removing bodies from Suzuki Cultus after Karachi Sea View deaths

Karachi Sea View Deaths: CCTV Shows Men Entering Garage

National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency NCCIA emblem of Pakistan.

Pakistan Scam Networks Face Joint FIA, NCCIA Probe

Shehbaz Sharif welcomes Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Hassan Al-Shaibani

Syria-Pakistan Talks Begin as Al-Shaibani Arrives in Islamabad

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Wafflix founder Mir Ali Raza standing next to the Wafflix "W" logo at the company's office.
Sindh

Mir Raza Investigation Draws Fresh Family Criticism

2 Min Read
Polish cyclist Sławomir Strzelczyk completes Pakistan tour at Khunjerab Pass.
Pakistan

Polish Cyclist Pakistan Tour Covers 1,390km to Khunjerab

1 Min Read
President Donald Trump speaking to reporters before boarding the new Air Force One.
Tech

Air Force One Facts: 5 Features That Set VC-25A Apart

1 Min Read
World

Erdogan, Trump, Iran Talks Focus on Diplomacy, Regional Risks

ANKARA, Turkey: Erdogan and Trump's talks on Iran focused on preserving diplomacy with Tehran as regional…

August 18, 2026
Sports

Pakistan Cricket Schedule Sets Sri Lanka, England Series

LAHORE, Punjab: The Pakistan cricket schedule will bring Sri Lanka and England to the country for…

August 20, 2026
Top NewsWorld

US Aircraft Carrier Heads to the Middle East to Relieve Lincoln

WASHINGTON, US: A US aircraft carrier is heading towards the Middle East to replace USS Abraham…

August 14, 2026
Tech

OncoSil FDA Approval Opens US Path for Bile Duct Cancer

OncoSil FDA approval has opened a US pathway for the company’s radiation device in distal cholangiocarcinoma,…

August 18, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?