The USS Benfold experienced a power loss in the South China Sea after a generator failure on July 24, leaving the US Navy destroyer without electricity for four days.
US 7th Fleet spokesman Cmdr. Matthew Comer said the Arleigh Burke-class destroyer suffered an engineering problem involving its generators during routine Indo-Pacific operations.
The outage disrupted galley services, toilets and air conditioning. It also affected the ship’s potable water supply, according to the 7th Fleet statement.
“No injuries” occurred among the crew, Comer said. The George Washington Carrier Strike Group supported the destroyer during the breakdown.
The USS Robert Smalls also provided meals for sailors aboard the Benfold, according to the 7th Fleet. The Navy towed the destroyer to Subic Bay in the Philippines on July 28. Power returned two days later.
The Navy has not publicly said whether the failure affected propulsion, navigation, weapons, sensors or communications.
Read: US Aircraft Carrier Heads to the Middle East to Relieve Lincoln
USS Benfold had been operating with the USS George Washington carrier strike group when the outage occurred.
The US Navy is investigating the cause of the generator failure; there is no confirmation whether the Benfold will rejoin the carrier group for its next deployment.