Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    GA-20 and Grammy-winning musician Charlie Musselwhite perform “I Can’t Hold Out” during CBS Saturday Morning’s Saturday Sessions on August 1.
    Videos

    GA-20 and Charlie Musselwhite Perform ‘I Can’t Hold Out’

    August 2, 2026 1 Min Read
    Ricky Gervais Alley Cats official Netflix trailer
    Videos

    Ricky Gervais ‘Alley Cats’ Trailer Sets August 7 Debut

    July 23, 2026 2 Min Read
    Sam Fender Olivia Dean break UK chart record with Rein Me In after 16 weeks at No. 1.
    Videos

    Sam Fender, Olivia Dean Break 30-Year UK Chart Record

    July 12, 2026 2 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Twin Taliban suicide blasts in Kabul kill at least nine
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
Suicide Blast in Kabul
PhotoNews Pakistan > Pakistan > Twin Taliban suicide blasts in Kabul kill at least nine
PakistanWorld

Twin Taliban suicide blasts in Kabul kill at least nine

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published September 5, 2016 3 Min Read
Share
SHARE
At least nine people were killed Monday when two Taliban suicide bombers on foot struck close to the defence ministry in Kabul during late afternoon rush hour, the latest assault on the Afghan capital.

Around 30 others were wounded in the assault, which comes as the Taliban intensify their nationwide offensive against the US-backed government.

The two bombers blew themselves up in rapid succession, in an attack apparently aimed at inflicting mass casualties as government workers left the ministry after work.

“The first explosion occurred on a bridge near the defence ministry. When soldiers, policemen and civilians rushed to the scene, there was the second explosion,” defence ministry spokesman Mohammad Radmanish told AFP.

“At least nine people, including civilians, have been martyred and around 30 others have been wounded,” he added.

The Italian-run Emergency Hospital in Kabul tweeted that it had so far received 10 injured people, with more expected to arrive.

President Ashraf Ghani strongly condemned the attack.

“The enemies of Afghanistan are losing the fight in the ground battle with security forces,” Ghani said in a statement. “That is why they are attacking, highways, cities, mosques, schools and ordinary people.”

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said on Twitter that the defence ministry was the object of the first attack, while police were targeted in the second.

The attack took place more than a week after 16 people were killed when militants stormed the American University of Afghanistan in Kabul, in a nearly 10-hour raid that prompted anguished pleas for help from trapped students.

Explosions and gunfire rocked the campus in that attack, which came just weeks after two university professors — an American and an Australian — were kidnapped at gunpoint near the school.

Their whereabouts are still unknown and no group so far has publicly claimed responsibility for the abductions, the latest in a series of kidnappings in the conflict-torn country.

The uptick in violence in the capital comes as the Taliban escalate nationwide attacks, underscoring the worsening security situation since NATO forces ended their combat mission at the end of 2014.

Afghan forces backed by US troops are seeking to head off a potential Taliban takeover of Lashkar Gah, the capital of the southern opium-rich province of Helmand.

The Taliban have also closed in on Kunduz — the northern city they briefly seized last year in their biggest military victory since the 2001 US invasion — leaving Afghan forces stretched on multiple fronts.

But NATO coalition forces have insisted that neither Kunduz nor Lashkar Gah are at risk of falling to the insurgents. (AFP)

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

US strikes Iran military sites near the Strait of Hormuz began Tuesday after a U.S. Apache helicopter went down.

Bahrain Iran-US Meeting Allegedly Sought to Contain Deal

Illustrative image of agentic AI transforming digital banking services.

Agentic Banking AI Moves From Chatbots to Live Payments

Donald Trump stands at a podium in a tuxedo and gestures toward his face during a White House event, with two aides visible behind him.

Trump Oman Threat Escalates as US-Iran Ceasefire Expires

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez at their wedding in Portugal
Entertainment

Cristiano Ronaldo Wedding: Star Marries Georgina in Cascais

2 Min Read
Joe Hiramoto fights Ryoma Shishimoto during a RIZIN 54 MMA bout in Tokyo.
Sports

RIZIN 54 Knockout: Hiramoto KOs Shishimoto in 96 Seconds

1 Min Read
IC Markets logo on a colorful gradient background.
Business

IC Markets Crypto CFDs List: Dynamic Leverage Up to 1:500

2 Min Read
Entertainment

YouTube TV Settlement Claims Due Aug. 30; Estimated $92

California subscribers covered by the YouTube TV settlement must file claims by August 30 to seek…

August 16, 2026
Top NewsWorld

Iran Says Oman Agreed on Strait of Hormuz Route Map

TEHRAN, Iran, Aug. 15: Iran said Oman had agreed on a Strait of Hormuz route map…

August 16, 2026
Tech

Trump Cyber Memo Opens Cyberattacks to Vetted US Firms

WASHINGTON: A Trump cyber memo authorised vetted US companies to attack foreign cybercrime groups under direct…

August 14, 2026
Sindh

Mir Raza Ali Murder: Report Finds Acid, Two Bullet Holes

KARACHI: A report in the Mir Raza Ali murder case found hydrochloric acid particles, gunshot residue…

August 11, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?