The Turkish military have released a statement claiming to have taken over and martial law has been imposed.
The army has seized media outlets, including the state-run TRT channel. The channel has broadcast a statement on the orders of the military.
It said: “Turkish Armed Forces have completely taken over the administration of the country to reinstate constitutional order, human rights and freedoms, the rule of law and general security that was damaged.
“All international agreements are still valid. We hope that all of our good relationships with all countries will continue.”
A source at the broadcaster told The Independent she and her colleagues were evacuated by the military earlier on Friday.
Offices of President Erdogan’s AKP party have reportedly been taken over.
Meanwhile, all flights from Istanbul’s Ataturk airport have been cancelled, according to a Reuters witness.
There have also been reports of hostages taken at the military headquarters, according to a CNN Turk journalist.
The same reporter and a number of other sources added President Erdogan was safe.
Earlier, another statement was released by NTV, announcing the coup. What follows is a rough translation:
A statement from the army, the Turkish Armed Forces; the constitutional order, democracy, human rights and freedoms and plant supplied again; The judge again made the rule of law in the country; the re-establishment of the deteriorating public security order; purpose of the administration of the country was completely confiscated.
All international agreements and our commitment remains valid. with all countries of the world, we hope to continue our good relations.