King Mohammed VI of Morocco has pardoned Senegal fans jailed over hooliganism-related charges from the Africa Cup of Nations final, the royal palace said Saturday.
The pardon covered 18 Senegalese supporters sentenced in April to prison terms ranging from three months to one year. The Associated Press also reported that the fans had been jailed after disorder during the final in Rabat.
The charges included violence against security forces, throwing objects, damaging stadium infrastructure and trying to invade the pitch after VAR awarded Morocco a penalty. Senegal walked off in protest but returned after 14 minutes, and Morocco missed the penalty.
Senegal won the match 1-0, but the Confederation of African Football later stripped Senegal of the title after upholding Morocco’s appeal over the walk-off. The Guardian reported that CAF awarded Morocco a 3-0 win under its tournament rules.
Senegal has appealed the CAF decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. The case keeps the final result under formal legal challenge.
Read: Senegal Stripped of AFCON Title as Players Mock CAF Ruling
The royal palace said the pardon was granted for “human considerations” ahead of Eid Al Adha and in view of long-standing fraternal relations between Morocco and Senegal.