Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    Shakira 2026 World Cup anthem
    Videos

    Shakira 2026 World Cup Anthem “Dai Dai” Featuring Burna Boy Unveiled

    May 8, 2026 2 Min Read
    Zayn Malik
    Videos

    Zayn Malik Releases Die For Me Music Video Ahead of New Album

    February 6, 2026 3 Min Read
    Masters of the Universe teaser
    Videos

    Masters of the Universe Teaser Reveals Nicholas Galitzine as He-Man

    January 22, 2026 3 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Palestinians say they won’t be blackmailed by US move to close PLO office
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
PhotoNews Pakistan > Top News > Palestinians say they won’t be blackmailed by US move to close PLO office
Top NewsWorld

Palestinians say they won’t be blackmailed by US move to close PLO office

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published November 19, 2017 4 Min Read
Share
SHARE

RAMALLAH/WASHINGTON: Palestinian officials expressed surprise on Saturday at a US decision to close the Palestine Liberation Organization office in Washington unless the group enters peace negotiations with Israel, and said they would not surrender to blackmail.

A US State Department official said that under legislation passed by Congress, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson could not renew a certification that expired this month for the PLO office, “given certain statements made by the Palestinian leaders about the International Criminal Court.”

The law says the PLO, the main Palestinian umbrella political body, cannot operate a Washington office if it urges the ICC to prosecute Israelis for alleged crimes against Palestinians.

In an address to the United Nations General Assembly in September, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said the Palestinian Authority called on the ICC “to open an investigation and to prosecute Israeli officials for their involvement in settlement activities and aggressions against our people.”

The State Department official added that restrictions on the PLO in the United States, including the operation of its Washington office, could be waived after 90 days if US President Donald Trump “determines the Palestinians have entered into direct, meaningful negotiations with Israel.”

“We are hopeful that this closure will be short-lived,” said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

According to the official Palestinian news agency WAFA, the Palestinian presidency expressed surprise at the US move, which was first reported by the Associated Press.

WAFA quoted Palestinian Foreign Minister Riyad Al-Maliki as saying that Palestinian leaders would not give in to blackmail or pressure regarding the operation of the PLO office or negotiations on an Israeli-Palestinian peace agreement.

The agency quoted a spokesman for Abbas, Nabil Abu Rdainah, expressing surprise, given that meetings between Abbas and Trump had been “characterised by full understanding of the steps needed to create a climate for resumption of the peace process.”

A Palestinian official who spoke on condition of anonymity told Reuters the State Department had informed the Palestinians of the decision on Wednesday.

It was not immediately clear what effect the State Department’s move might have on the Trump administration’s efforts to revive peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians, which are led by Jared Kushner, the US president’s son-in-law and senior adviser.

Abbas’ spokesman called the US move an unprecedented step in US-Palestinian relations that would have serious consequences for the peace process and US-Arab relations, according to WAFA.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a statement on Saturday: “This is a matter of US law. We respect the decision and look forward to continuing to work with the US to advance peace and security in the region.”

The State Department official said the US move did not amount to cutting off relations with the PLO or signal an intention to stop working with the Palestinian Authority.

“We remain focused on a comprehensive peace agreement between the Israelis and the Palestinians that will resolve core issues between the parties,” the official said. (Reuters)

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

An illustrative image showcases Iran’s national flag alongside oil barrels.

US Iran Deal Stalls As Brent Tops $111 A Barrel

A severely burned car sits in a driveway outside a fire-damaged building following a reported arson incident in Melbourne.

Melbourne Arson Attacks Bring 51 Arrests In Probe

A black car belonging to Malik Tariq Khan, chief of Ahmedzai Wazir, shows extensive damage and impact marks on its doors and windows.

Wana Market Blast Kills Three in South Waziristan

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Microsoft Teams
Tech

Microsoft Teams Vulnerability Patched For Android Users

1 Min Read
A hand holds a smartphone showing the Kalshi app page, with prediction market and live sports trading graphics on the screen.
Offbeat

Prediction Market Trades Face Insider Scrutiny

2 Min Read
A Boeing building stands behind a fenced industrial area, with aircraft visible near the facility.
BusinessTop News

Boeing China Aircraft Deal Opens With 200 Jets

2 Min Read
Top NewsWorld

Trump Beijing Visit Opens With CEOs, Trade Talks

Trump's Beijing visit began on Wednesday, as President Donald Trump landed in China with a delegation…

May 13, 2026
Top NewsWorld

Trump Threatens Primary Challenger Against Boebert

Washington: President Donald Trump threatened to support a primary challenger to Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO)…

May 17, 2026
Pakistan

Iman Mazari Sentence Suspension Pleas Sent Back To IHC

The Supreme Court of Pakistan on Tuesday directed the Islamabad High Court to decide the suspension…

May 12, 2026
Entertainment

Livvy Dunne SI Swimsuit Photos Draw Fan Reaction

Former Louisiana State University gymnast Livvy Dunne shared new SI Swimsuit photos from Loreto, Baja California Sur,…

May 14, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?