Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    GA-20 and Grammy-winning musician Charlie Musselwhite perform “I Can’t Hold Out” during CBS Saturday Morning’s Saturday Sessions on August 1.
    Videos

    GA-20 and Charlie Musselwhite Perform ‘I Can’t Hold Out’

    August 2, 2026 1 Min Read
    Ricky Gervais Alley Cats official Netflix trailer
    Videos

    Ricky Gervais ‘Alley Cats’ Trailer Sets August 7 Debut

    July 23, 2026 2 Min Read
    Sam Fender Olivia Dean break UK chart record with Rein Me In after 16 weeks at No. 1.
    Videos

    Sam Fender, Olivia Dean Break 30-Year UK Chart Record

    July 12, 2026 2 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: NBP claims 600,000 ghost pensioners bagged billions
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
PhotoNews Pakistan > Business > NBP claims 600,000 ghost pensioners bagged billions
Business

NBP claims 600,000 ghost pensioners bagged billions

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published August 19, 2015 4 Min Read
Share
SHARE
Islamabad: In what might well be one of the biggest financial scandals of the country, the National Bank of Pakistan (NBP) unearthed 600,000 ghost civilian and military pensioners who have been receiving up to Rs43 billion annually – roughly one-fifth of the country’s pension budget.

“During the process of opening bank accounts of the pensioners, we have identified 600,000 ghost pensioners,” said Mudassir Khan, Senior Executive Vice President of the NBP, on Tuesday while giving a briefing to Senate Standing Committee on Finance.

He said these ghost pensioners were receiving pensions from the military, the federal government and the Employees Old-Age Benefit Institute (EOBI).

Mudassir did not reveal the exact amount that these ghost pensioners were getting every year but with an average pension size of Rs6,000 per month, estimates would put the figure at nearly Rs43.2 billion.

It is the second such case of ghost recipients, as earlier the Benazir Income Support Programme caught 125,000 ghost beneficiaries who were receiving Rs2.2 billion annually.

The federal government paid Rs219 billion in civilian and military pensions in the last fiscal year and Rs43 billion is roughly one-fifth of the total amount. Three-fourths of the total pension budget or Rs167 billion, goes to military pensioners.

The actual payments to the ghost pensioners might be far higher than Rs43 billion as the volume of military pensions is far greater than the civilian pensions. The 320,000 federal government pensioners received Rs52 billion in payments last year while an amount of Rs167 billion was paid to 173,603 military pensioners.

“It is one of the biggest scams” said Senator Saleem Mandviwalla, the chairperson of the Senate Standing Committee. He said that the committee would institute a thorough probe.

After screening out 600,000 ghost pensioners, the active pensioners who are receiving pensions from the state-owned bank have come down to 1.63 million, said Mudassir Khan. The NBP executive added that more ghost pensioners could be identified through biometric verification.

Meanwhile, Mudassir deflected responsibility from NBP by claiming that the responsibility of paying pensions to ghost pensioners lay with the departments as the NBP was only disbursing the amounts. The Controller General of Accounts (CGA), Asif Ali, had raised the issue of ghost pensioners by seeking a six-monthly biometric verification of all pensioners.

However, he disputed the 600,000 figure on the grounds that the federal government’s civilian pensioners were only 320,000. Ali did not take into account the EOBI and military pensioners.

Bangladesh scam

The standing committee expressed dissatisfaction over the investigation of Rs18.5 billion in losses at the Bangladesh branch of the NBP. Mandivalla directed the NBP President, Ahmed Iqbal Ashraf, to proceed against people who were responsible for huge losses, showing displeasure over the lenient attitude of the management towards the accused persons.

The NBP president said that only 30% of the Rs18.5 billion can be recovered and that too over a period of five to six years. Independent investigators have blamed 61 NBP officers for the fraud including its former President Syed Ali Raza. The scam was first reported in the media in January 2014 and since then the NBP management is trying to protect the accused persons.

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

Iranian soldier saluting beside the Iran flag during a missile launch.

Iran Offensive Strategy Raises Risk of Wider US Conflict

Netanyahu Faces Trump Pressure As Israel-Iran Fighting Raises Election Risks

Netanyahu Backs US Sanctions On ICC, Calls Court ‘Kangaroo’

Iran nuclear inspections dispute emerges as Trump and Tehran offer conflicting accounts of peace-deal talks.

Iran Nuclear Retaliation Warning Targets Any US Strike

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Cargo ships reroute near Bab al-Mandab amid Houthi blockade threat.
World

Houthi Missiles Bab al-Mandab: Five Fired Toward Strait

1 Min Read
U.S. Department of War building shown from above
World

US Weapons Stockpiles Face Rapid Rebuild Amid Iran War

1 Min Read
Finance Bill 2026 received President Asif Ali Zardari’s
Pakistan

Independence Day Message: Zardari Calls for Reforms

1 Min Read
Pakistan

Imran Ashraf Death Hoax Debunked After AI Clip Goes Viral

Pakistani actor and host Imran Ashraf rejected an Imran Ashraf death hoax after an AI-generated clip…

August 17, 2026
Offbeat

Treaty 6 Anniversary Events Span Alberta and Saskatchewan

Treaty 6 anniversary events will mark 150 years since the 1876 agreement across Alberta and Saskatchewan,…

August 15, 2026
World

Houthi Saudi Naval Attack Claimed Off Yemen’s Al-Mokha

AL-MOKHA, Yemen: A Houthi Saudi naval attack involving ballistic missiles allegedly hit a Saudi military landing…

August 18, 2026
World

Karoline Leavitt to Leave White House Press Secretary Role

WASHINGTON, United States: White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt will leave her position at the end…

August 13, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?