Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    Dua Lipa Live From Mexico on YouTube
    Videos

    Dua Lipa Live From Mexico Film Arrives on YouTube

    May 22, 2026 1 Min Read
    Shakira 2026 World Cup anthem
    Videos

    Shakira 2026 World Cup Anthem “Dai Dai” Featuring Burna Boy Unveiled

    May 8, 2026 2 Min Read
    Zayn Malik
    Videos

    Zayn Malik Releases Die For Me Music Video Ahead of New Album

    February 6, 2026 3 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Nandipur power project: Govt to outsource operations to Chinese firm
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
PhotoNews Pakistan > Business > Nandipur power project: Govt to outsource operations to Chinese firm
Business

Nandipur power project: Govt to outsource operations to Chinese firm

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published September 18, 2015 4 Min Read
Share
SHARE
As controversy over the 425-megawatt Nandipur power project increases, the government has found a way out and decided to outsource operations of the plant to the Chinese engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contractor, Dongfang Electric Corporation, for a period of six months.

“It has been decided to give the operation and maintenance contract to Chinese EPC contractor Dongfang as an interim arrangement before the award of international competitive bids,” a senior government official said .

Last week, the board of directors of Nandipur Power Company Limited scrapped the bid submitted by a Malaysian firm for operation and maintenance work at the Nandipur plant. Now, the board has decided to invite international competitive bids again.

According to the official, the EPC contractor is bound to provide all equipment related to the power plant. It has submitted a $35-million guarantee and if it is found irresponsible, the guarantee may be encashed.

The Nandipur power plant has failed to run at full capacity, prompting Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to order an investigation.

The main problem was the low capacity of the furnace oil treatment plant that created hurdles in the way of operating the power plant at full capacity, the official said.

“The Nandipur power plant requires a furnace oil treatment plant with an annual capacity of 30 million tons, but the treatment plant has the capacity to process 19 million tons only.”

The National Engineering Services of Pakistan (Nespak) was the project consultant and it should have noticed and informed the authorities about the low-capacity treatment plant.

According to the official, the government has now asked the EPC contractor to enhance capacity of the treatment plant and has given it six months. It may install another plant to take the combined capacity to the required level.

“This is the reason why the government has decided to give the operation and maintenance contract to Dongfang for six months,” he said.

Earlier, Nandipur Power Company invited bids in which a Malaysian firm emerged as the successful bidder because it was the single party that made the offer. However, the board of Nandipur company was concerned over the rates quoted by the Malaysian company, which forced it to scrap the tender.

The official pointed out that Dongfang had also given operation and maintenance rates that had been submitted to the National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (Nepra).

The Nandipur plant could produce 321 megawatts of electricity, which could be generated for six months before enhancing the capacity of furnace oil treatment plant. At present, the only option for the government is to run the plant at full capacity through gas.

The country faced a loss of $1.64 billion in the wake of delay in the Nandipur project by the previous government. In order to make the project operational, the current government paid $80 million in loan mark-up to banks on the seized plant equipment at the Karachi Port, $7 million in demurrages, $50 million for replacing defective parts and $19 million as escalation cost.

Earlier, the Chinese contractor had pulled out of the project and the loan offer expired in the absence of sovereign guarantees. However, the PML-N government persuaded the contractor to resume work and re-negotiated loan deals with banks.

Also read:Nandipur power plant starts generating 100 MW electicity
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

Taylor Swift poses in a gold outfit on the red carpet at the 2022 American Music Awards in Los Angeles.

Taylor Swift AMAs Absence Confirmed Despite 8 Nods

The FIFA World Cup trophy and the 2026 Trionda match ball sit on the grass inside a football stadium.

World Cup 2026 Rules Add Breaks, VAR Checks

A financial graphic shows the ADB logo beside rising chart bars, Pakistan’s crescent and star, and stacked gold coins.

ML-1 Karachi-Rohri Work Speeds Up For ADB Funding

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Iraqi poet Faiq Hassan stands beside his wife, Syrian singer Asala Nasri, in a studio-style portrait.
Entertainment

Assala Faeq Hassan Rumors Stir Divorce Claims

1 Min Read
A black car belonging to Malik Tariq Khan, chief of Ahmedzai Wazir, shows extensive damage and impact marks on its doors and windows.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa

Wana Market Blast Kills Three in South Waziristan

1 Min Read
Donald Trump stands at a podium in a tuxedo and gestures toward his face during a White House event, with two aides visible behind him.
Top NewsWorld

Trump Iran Warning Escalates Pressure on Tehran

2 Min Read
Entertainment

Kim Kardashian Gucci Look Draws Online Mockery

Kim Kardashian’s Gucci look drew criticism after she wore a heavily layered outfit to the Gucci…

May 18, 2026
Pakistan

Altaf Hassan Qureshi Passes Away at 94 in Lahore

Lahore, Punjab: Veteran journalist and intellectual Altaf Hassan Qureshi passed away on Saturday at the age…

May 17, 2026
Entertainment

Eurovision 2026 Final Opens in Vienna Amid Boycott

The Eurovision 2026 final takes place on Saturday in Vienna, Austria, with 25 countries competing in…

May 16, 2026
World

Russian Jets RAF Plane Intercept Raises UK Alarm

Russian jets dangerously intercepted an unarmed RAF Rivet Joint surveillance aircraft over the Black Sea, the…

May 21, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?