TEHRAN, Iran: President Masoud Pezeshkian said Friday that the Iran-US war should end while Tehran remains in a position of “power and dignity.”
Pezeshkian defended the recent agreement with Washington as a major achievement approved by Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, according to the Iranian presidency.
He rejected domestic criticism that Tehran had made concessions. Pezeshkian said the agreement contained no clause indicating Iran’s surrender.
However, he said Iran would respond forcefully if attacked again and would not submit to external pressure.
Pezeshkian also accused the United States of violating international rules by striking Iranian schools, hospitals and infrastructure. The supplied material does not provide independent confirmation of those allegations.
Read: China Warns Trump Against Interference in Strait of Hormuz
Iran and the United States signed a 14-point memorandum of understanding in Islamabad on June 18 under Pakistani and Qatari mediation.
Read: Trump Iran Sanctions Threat Targets Countries Aiding Tehran
The memorandum provided for an end to hostilities and a 60-day period of negotiations toward a final agreement.
Since then, Tehran has accused Washington of violating the memorandum. Pakistan and Qatar have continued mediation between the two sides.
Meanwhile, US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said Washington would announce details on Monday of what he described as the toughest sanctions yet against Iran.
China has opposed further unilateral sanctions and called for political and diplomatic negotiations instead.