Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    Shakira 2026 World Cup anthem
    Videos

    Shakira 2026 World Cup Anthem “Dai Dai” Featuring Burna Boy Unveiled

    May 8, 2026 2 Min Read
    Zayn Malik
    Videos

    Zayn Malik Releases Die For Me Music Video Ahead of New Album

    February 6, 2026 3 Min Read
    Masters of the Universe teaser
    Videos

    Masters of the Universe Teaser Reveals Nicholas Galitzine as He-Man

    January 22, 2026 3 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Turkey in new raids against suspected coup plotters
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
New Raids in Turkey
PhotoNews Pakistan > Top News > Turkey in new raids against suspected coup plotters
Top News

Turkey in new raids against suspected coup plotters

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published July 18, 2016 3 Min Read
Share
SHARE
Turkish security forces on Monday carried out new raids against suspected plotters of the botched coup against the rule of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, as international concern grew over the scale of the crackdown.

The authorities have said around 6,000 people have been detained so far in the investigation into Friday’s coup which Erdogan has blamed on his arch enemy the US-based preacher Fethullah Gulen.

On Monday morning, special Istanbul anti-terror police units raided the prestigious air force military academy in the city in search of new suspects, the state-run Anadolu news agency reported.

Meanwhile, authorities have also detained General Mehmet Disli, who conducted the operation to capture Turkey’s chief of staff Hulusi Akar during the stand-off, a Turkish official said.

Reports had said that a total of 36 generals had been detained so far. The Dogan agency reported Monday that 10 of them had now been remanded in custody by the courts.

Erdogan has urged citizens to remain on the streets even after the defeat of the coup, in what the authorities describe as a “vigil” for democracy.

New demonstrations of support were held throughout the country on Sunday night, AFP correspondents said. Thousands of pro-Erdogan supporters waving Turkish flags filled the main Kizilay Square in Ankara while similar scenes were seen in Taksim Square in Istanbul, AFP photographers said.

According to Anadolu, 1,800 additional elite special police forces have been drafted in from surrounding provinces to ensure security in Istanbul.

Eleven soldiers suspected of involvement in the coup were detained Sunday at Istanbul’s Sabiha Gokcen airport on the Asian side of the city in an operation that saw shots fired in the air, Turkish television reports said.

Leaders including US President Barack Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel have urged Turkey to follow the rule of law in the wake of the coup. EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini said on Monday that the rule of law needed to be protected for the sake of the country.

‘Revival of death penalty unacceptable’

It would be unacceptable for Turkey to reintroduce the death penalty in response to the attempted coup, Austrian Foreign Minister Sebastian Kurz said in an interview published on Monday ahead of a meeting of his European Union counterparts.

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday after the failed coup attempt there could be no delay in using capital punishment, which Turkey abolished in 2004, and the government would discuss it with opposition parties.

“The introduction of the death penalty would of course be absolutely unacceptable,” Kurz said in an interview with Austrian newspaper Kurier.

“There must be no arbitrary purges, no criminal sanctions outside the framework of the rule of law and the justice system.” (AFP/Reuters)

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

A smartphone displays the Claude Mythos logo while resting on a laptop keyboard.

Mythos AI Cyber Risks Draw Global Finance Briefing

Golfer Aaron Rai holds up a golf ball while standing on the course after his U.S. PGA Championship win at Aronimink Golf Club.

Aaron Rai US PGA Win Seals First Major Title

Composite image of US President Donald Trump and Iran’s Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei against the US and Iranian flags.

US Iran Talks Stall As Lawmaker Threatens Reward

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Silhouettes of armed figures in front of split Hezbollah and Israeli flags.
World

Hezbollah Lebanon-Israel Talks Exclude Weapons, Chief Warns

1 Min Read
The Gemini logo appears on a dark background next to smartphone screens showing Google AI features.
Tech

Gemini Spark Agent Surfaces In Google App Beta

2 Min Read
Neymar gestures toward a camera after being taken off in the 68th minute of a football match.
Sports

Neymar World Cup Squad Hopes Rise After Fitness Claim

2 Min Read
World

Hezbollah Support Endures As Israel Strikes South Lebanon

Hezbollah support remains strong in parts of south Lebanon as Israeli air strikes continue despite an…

May 14, 2026
World

Netanyahu UAE Visit Claim Denied by Abu Dhabi

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he secretly visited the United Arab Emirates during the Iran…

May 14, 2026
Sports

Pakistan vs Bangladesh 2nd Test: Hosts Lead by 249

Bangladesh reached 203-4 at lunch on Day 3 of the Pakistan vs Bangladesh 2nd Test, extending…

May 18, 2026
World

China Uses Name Workaround for Rubio Ban in Beijing

Beijing, China: China used a name workaround to the Rubio China ban, allowing US Secretary of State…

May 15, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?