Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    GA-20 and Grammy-winning musician Charlie Musselwhite perform “I Can’t Hold Out” during CBS Saturday Morning’s Saturday Sessions on August 1.
    Videos

    GA-20 and Charlie Musselwhite Perform ‘I Can’t Hold Out’

    August 2, 2026 1 Min Read
    Ricky Gervais Alley Cats official Netflix trailer
    Videos

    Ricky Gervais ‘Alley Cats’ Trailer Sets August 7 Debut

    July 23, 2026 2 Min Read
    Sam Fender Olivia Dean break UK chart record with Rein Me In after 16 weeks at No. 1.
    Videos

    Sam Fender, Olivia Dean Break 30-Year UK Chart Record

    July 12, 2026 2 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: IS terror group claims responsibility for Tunis Carnage
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
PhotoNews Pakistan > World > IS terror group claims responsibility for Tunis Carnage
World

IS terror group claims responsibility for Tunis Carnage

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published March 20, 2015 4 Min Read
Share
SHARE

The dreaded terror outfit  the ‘Islamic State’ claimed responsibility for an attack on foreign tourists at Tunisia’s national museum that killed 21 people, as the security forces swooped on suspects.

Authorities said they had identified the two gunmen killed after the Wednesday assault, prompting calls for a show of national unity against extremism in the birthplace of the ‘Arab Spring’.

In an audio message posted online yesterday, IS said “two knights from the Islamic State… heavily armed with automatic weapons and grenades, targeted the Bardo Museum” in the capital.

The group, which has hundreds of Tunisians among its ranks, threatened more attacks, saying: “What you have seen is only the start.”

Authorities say as many as 3,000 Tunisians have gone to Iraq, Syria and Libya to fight in militant ranks, raising fears of battle-hardened fighters returning home to plot attacks.

The president’s office said security forces arrested “four people directly linked to the (terrorist) operation and five suspected of having ties to the cell”.

And a presidential source said soldiers were to be deployed in major cities following the assault, while insisting “we are not under siege”.

Panic broke out during the attack Wednesday as gunmen in military uniforms opened fire at visitors as they got off a bus then chased them inside the museum.

The dead included three Japanese, two Spaniards, a Colombian, an Australian, a British woman, a Belgian woman, two French, a Pole and an Italian, Health Minister Said Aidi said.
Dozens more people were wounded in the assault, in a massive blow to Tunisia’s heavily tourism-dependent economy.

After cowering in fear in the museum during the night, two Spanish tourists were discovered yesterday morning alive and well, officials said.

At least two major cruise ship operators suspended stopovers in Tunis following the attack.

Nine of the slain tourists were from the MSC Splendida cruise ship, whose owners said a special psychology unit had been set up for passengers.

The government, in a show of defiance, said the National Bardo Museum would reopen early next week.
Prime Minister Habib Essid named the two gunmen killed by security forces at the museum as Yassine Abidi and Hatem Khachnaoui. He said Abidi was known to the police.

The museum assailants were “probably” Tunisian, the interior ministry added.

President Essebsi said the gunmen had explosives on them and he praised the security forces for preventing further bloodshed.

Tunisia has seen an upsurge in Islamist extremism since the 2011 revolution that ousted longtime strongman Zine El Abidine Ben Ali and sparked the Arab Spring uprisings around the region.

US President Barack Obama called Essebsi to offer condolences and assistance with the investigation as world leaders denounced the attack.

A retired Colombian general whose wife and son, a dual Colombian-Australian national, were killed, lamented the “irony” of losing them on holiday after spending his life “fighting terrorism” at home.

“Look at the irony of life, all my life I spent in the military fighting terrorism, combating terrorism, and now in a place totally remote from Colombia it takes my wife and son,” Jose Arturo Camelo said, according to the Colombian president who called him.

Tunisia has taken pride in forming a democratic government and achieving stability since the Arab Spring — in marked contrast to countries such as Egypt and Libya.

Also read: Tunis museum attack: Govt promises merciless war

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Bank Alfalah Pehchan account

Recent Posts

Higher Canada tariffs illustrated by US and Canadian cargo containers as wildfire smoke crosses the border

US-Canada Tariffs Hit 50% as Trade Talks Collapse

USA TikTok Deal 2025

TikTok Privacy Settlement Reaches $400 Million in the US

Klay Thompson playing for the Dallas Mavericks

Klay Thompson Miami Heat Move Follows Mavericks Buyout

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Hollywood Sign on the hills above Los Angeles
Entertainment

Griffith American Films IELTS Answers Cover Questions 14–26

2 Min Read
Cyberattack
Business

France Tax Authority Cyberattack Hits 1.8 Million Accounts

2 Min Read
K9MH self-propelled artillery system by Hanwha Defence USA
World

K9MH Artillery Contract Gives Hanwha $262.9m US Army Deal

2 Min Read
Business

China Iran Sanctions Stance Rejects New US Pressure

BEIJING, China: China rejected renewed US sanctions pressure on Iran on Friday, saying unilateral measures without…

August 21, 2026
Tech

iPhone 18 Pro Max Camera May Get Sony Variable Aperture

Apple’s iPhone 18 Pro Max camera is rumoured to gain a 48MP Sony IMX905 main sensor with a…

August 18, 2026
Sindh

Mir Raza Investigation Draws Fresh Family Criticism

KARACHI, Sindh: The Mir Raza investigation has drawn renewed criticism from the victim’s father, who said…

August 18, 2026
Sindh

Karachi Sea View Deaths: CCTV Shows Men Entering Garage

KARACHI, Sindh: CCTV footage in the Karachi Sea View deaths probe shows two men entering an…

August 20, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?