Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    GA-20 and Grammy-winning musician Charlie Musselwhite perform “I Can’t Hold Out” during CBS Saturday Morning’s Saturday Sessions on August 1.
    Videos

    GA-20 and Charlie Musselwhite Perform ‘I Can’t Hold Out’

    August 2, 2026 1 Min Read
    Ricky Gervais Alley Cats official Netflix trailer
    Videos

    Ricky Gervais ‘Alley Cats’ Trailer Sets August 7 Debut

    July 23, 2026 2 Min Read
    Sam Fender Olivia Dean break UK chart record with Rein Me In after 16 weeks at No. 1.
    Videos

    Sam Fender, Olivia Dean Break 30-Year UK Chart Record

    July 12, 2026 2 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Iran Participating in World Cup, FIFA President Confirms
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
FIFA President Gianni Infantino jokes that the national team might qualify if the World Cup expanded to 64 teams.
PhotoNews Pakistan > Sports > Iran Participating in World Cup, FIFA President Confirms
Sports

Iran Participating in World Cup, FIFA President Confirms

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published April 16, 2026 4 Min Read
Share
FIFA President Gianni Infantino.
SHARE

Iran’s participation in the World Cup has now been confirmed by FIFA president Gianni Infantino, who said the team will “for sure” take part in the 2026 tournament despite the conflict in the Middle East. His remarks aim to remove uncertainty around Iran’s place in the competition after weeks of political and security concerns.

Infantino said Iran had qualified, the players wanted to play, and the team would represent its people on the global stage. He also expressed hope that the situation would be peaceful by the time the tournament begins in June 2026. Speaking at a CNBC economic conference, Infantino said Iran is coming “for sure” and stressed that sport should remain outside politics. He presented FIFA’s position as one of bridge-building amid rising regional tensions.

Those comments come after Iran’s participation had been questioned because of the war involving the United States, Israel and Iran. FIFA has nevertheless maintained that qualified teams must be allowed to compete.

Iran participating in World Cup, FIFA president says

FIFA president Gianni Infantino said Wednesday that Iran will “for sure” participate in the 2026 World Cup despite the Middle East war.
“Iran is coming for sure. We hope that by then the situation will be a peaceful situation,… pic.twitter.com/CEDbn5ZhLI

— Vanguard Newspapers (@vanguardngrnews) April 16, 2026

Iran is set to play all three Group G matches in the United States. Two games are scheduled in Los Angeles, while the third will be played in Seattle. The team’s tournament base will be in Tucson, Arizona. That means FIFA is moving ahead with the existing logistics despite ongoing concerns linked to diplomacy, travel and security.

FIFA Rejected Iran’s Request for a Switch

Iran had earlier asked FIFA to move its matches from the United States to Mexico. However, the request was rejected, leaving the original World Cup arrangement in place. That decision reinforced FIFA’s message that tournament planning would not be redrawn solely because of political pressure. It also made Infantino’s latest remarks especially significant, as they leave little doubt about the governing body’s position.

Iran’s World Cup status had come under fresh scrutiny after the conflict launched on February 28 and the fragile truce that took effect on April 8. Tensions remain high because of the Strait of Hormuz closure and Washington’s blockade on ships linked to Iranian ports. Even so, FIFA appears determined to separate football from geopolitics. Infantino said the players represent the people, not the broader political dispute, and that sport should help maintain connections rather than deepen division.

Iran in Group G, where its three group-stage matches are already mapped out. It also notes that the first expanded 48-team World Cup will begin on June 11, 2026. For now, the biggest question is no longer whether Iran will be there. Instead, attention is shifting toward how the team performs on the field and whether the wider regional situation remains stable by the time the tournament begins.

OpponentFIFA Ranking (approx.)Style & StrengthsChallenge for Iran
BelgiumTop 10Experienced, technically strong, attackingToughest match – high-quality squad
EgyptAround 25–30Organized defense, physical, counter-attacksKey decisive game for second place
New ZealandAround 80–100Physical, direct, limited technical depthMost winnable – Iran expected to dominate
TAGGED:Featured
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

Imran Khan hospital transfer reports denied as officials say no confirmed movement from Adiala Jail took place.

SC Returns Imran Khan Review Petition Over Hospital Transfer

Australia's national flag pinned on a map of Australia.

Australia Summons Israeli Ambassador Over Gaza Aid Worker

FY25 parliamentary approval spending audit finds Rs3,177bn spent without parliament approval.

Cabinet Approves Defence Forces Act 2026, NCA Amendments

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Hollywood Sign on the hills above Los Angeles
Entertainment

Griffith American Films IELTS Answers Cover Questions 14–26

2 Min Read
AI image posted by Donald Trump depicting him aboard an Iranian vessel.
Top NewsWorld

Trump Posts AI Tanker Image, Then Removes Falling Men

1 Min Read
Former US Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz in an official portrait.
World

US-Iran War Was a Big Mistake, Ex-Negotiator Moniz Says

2 Min Read
Top NewsWorld

Strait of Hormuz: Trump Says US Will Claim It After War

President Donald Trump said Friday in New York that the United States would claim the Strait…

August 15, 2026
Sports

PCB Independence Day Surprise Set for Multan Cricket Fans

Pakistan Cricket Board Chairman Mohsin Naqvi announced free entry at Multan Cricket Stadium and a PCB…

August 16, 2026
Tech

Trump Cyber Memo Opens Cyberattacks to Vetted US Firms

WASHINGTON: A Trump cyber memo authorised vetted US companies to attack foreign cybercrime groups under direct…

August 14, 2026
Sports

Bangladesh Beat Australia by 9 Wickets for Historic Test Win

Bangladesh beat Australia by nine wickets in the first Test in Darwin on Sunday, completing a…

August 16, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?