Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    GA-20 and Grammy-winning musician Charlie Musselwhite perform “I Can’t Hold Out” during CBS Saturday Morning’s Saturday Sessions on August 1.
    Videos

    GA-20 and Charlie Musselwhite Perform ‘I Can’t Hold Out’

    August 2, 2026 1 Min Read
    Ricky Gervais Alley Cats official Netflix trailer
    Videos

    Ricky Gervais ‘Alley Cats’ Trailer Sets August 7 Debut

    July 23, 2026 2 Min Read
    Sam Fender Olivia Dean break UK chart record with Rein Me In after 16 weeks at No. 1.
    Videos

    Sam Fender, Olivia Dean Break 30-Year UK Chart Record

    July 12, 2026 2 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Fury as 700 feared dead in ‘avoidable’ Med shipwreck
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
PhotoNews Pakistan > Top News > Fury as 700 feared dead in ‘avoidable’ Med shipwreck
Top NewsWorld

Fury as 700 feared dead in ‘avoidable’ Med shipwreck

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published April 20, 2015 3 Min Read
Share
SHARE

Rome : More than 700 people are feared to have drowned after an overcrowded boat smuggling them to Europe capsized off Libya, officials said Sunday, prompting demands for the European Union to react to the Mediterranean’s deadliest migrant disaster to date.

Italy’s coastguard, which was coordinating the search for survivors and bodies, said only 28 people had survived a wreck that triggered fresh calls from Pope Francis and others for European leaders to act over what many saw as an avoidable tragedy. The UN refuguee agency (UNHCR) said survivors’ testimonies suggested there had been around 700 people on board the 20-metre (70-foot) fishing boat when it keeled over in darkness overnight, officials said.

“It seems we are looking at the worst massacre ever seen in the Mediterranean,” UNHCR spokeswoman Carlotta Sami said. A Bangladeshi survivor who was helicoptered to hospital in Sicily put the numbers on board at 950 and said 200 women and children and nearly 50 children had been among them, according to prosecutors in the city of Catania. As Italy demanded an emergency summit of European Union leaders, the bloc’s foreign ministers tabled talks on the issue for Monday.

Anger among NGOs was underlined by Amnesty International, which described the disaster as a predictable man-made tragedy. Coastal authorities in Italy and Malta picked up a distress signal from the stricken vessel around midnight (2200 GMT) on Saturday, when it was still in Libyan waters. The Italian coastguard instructed a nearby merchant ship to provide assistance and it was when the Portuguese-registered King Jacob arrived at the scene that the fishing boat capsized, most likely as a result of the terrified passengers stampeding to one side in their desperation to get off, the UNHCR’s Sami said.

Italian, Maltese and merchant boats scoured the area for survivors but only 24 bodies were recovered. They were due to arrive in Malta on Monday morning while survivors are being taken to Sicily. Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said the coastguard would seek to salvage the boat and ensure any corpses recovered from it were given a decent funeral. EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini, a former Italian foreign minister, called the disaster a stain on the EU’s conscience.

“We have said too many times ‘never again’. Now is time for the European Union as such to tackle these tragedies without delay.” The UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Antonio Guterres, added: “This disaster confirms how urgent it is to restore a robust rescue-at-sea operation and establish credible legal avenues to reach Europe. Otherwise people seeking safety will continue to perish at sea.”

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Bank Alfalah Pehchan account

Recent Posts

Bitcoin coins are shown with digital trading charts, candlestick graphs and an upward arrow representing cryptocurrency and tokenized market growth.

Bitcoin Price Rally Lifts Crypto Stocks After Treasury Move

Pakistan Stock Exchange market data is displayed on a green financial graphic, highlighting trading activity and market performance.

KSE-100 Index Gains 575 Points as Value Buying Lifts PSX

Donald Trump, Doris Miller and USS Doris Miller aircraft carrier

CVN-81 Renaming May Give US Carrier Trump Name: CNN

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

K9MH self-propelled artillery system by Hanwha Defence USA
World

K9MH Artillery Contract Gives Hanwha $262.9m US Army Deal

2 Min Read
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian speaks at the tomb of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini in Tehran during a cabinet visit on January 31, 2026. Image Credit: AFP File Photo
World

Iran-US War Should End From a Position of Strength: Pezeshkian

2 Min Read
Apple Inc. logo on a dark blue background.
Tech

Apple to Change App Tracking Transparency Rules Across EU

2 Min Read
Offbeat

Trump, 80, Thirsts Over ‘Young, Beautiful Girls’ in Creepy Rant

GARDEN CITY, United States: President Donald Trump repeatedly called the women at the White House “young,…

August 15, 2026
Sports

Sara Bejlek Beats Sabalenka 7-6, 6-4 in Cincinnati

CINCINNATI: Bejlek beat Sabalenka 7-6 (9-7), 6-4 in the Cincinnati Open fourth round, giving the 20-year-old…

August 20, 2026
Top NewsWorld

US University Research Audits Target 30 Institutions

WASHINGTON: US university research audits will cover 30 institutions after the Department of Defence ordered reviews…

August 18, 2026
Offbeat

Robot Coffee Shop in Beijing Sets 202-Cup World Record

BEIJING: A robot coffee shop operated by JD.com’s 7Fresh Coffee opened at Galaxy SOHO on August…

August 17, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?