Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    GA-20 and Grammy-winning musician Charlie Musselwhite perform “I Can’t Hold Out” during CBS Saturday Morning’s Saturday Sessions on August 1.
    Videos

    GA-20 and Charlie Musselwhite Perform ‘I Can’t Hold Out’

    August 2, 2026 1 Min Read
    Ricky Gervais Alley Cats official Netflix trailer
    Videos

    Ricky Gervais ‘Alley Cats’ Trailer Sets August 7 Debut

    July 23, 2026 2 Min Read
    Sam Fender Olivia Dean break UK chart record with Rein Me In after 16 weeks at No. 1.
    Videos

    Sam Fender, Olivia Dean Break 30-Year UK Chart Record

    July 12, 2026 2 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Five ‘IS-linked’ navy officers get death sentence in dockyard attack case
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
Navy
PhotoNews Pakistan > Top News > Five ‘IS-linked’ navy officers get death sentence in dockyard attack case
Top News

Five ‘IS-linked’ navy officers get death sentence in dockyard attack case

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published May 24, 2016 4 Min Read
Share
SHARE

Islamabad: A Navy tribunal sentenced five officers to death in the Sept 6, 2014, Karachi Naval Dockyard attack case, father of one of the convicts said on Monday.

Retired Major Saeed Ahmed said that in a trial his son, Sub-Lieutenant Hammad Ahmed, and four other naval officers had been convicted of the naval dockyard attack that took place on Defence Day around two years ago.

He said the five were charged with having links with the militant Islamic State group, mutiny, hatching a conspiracy and carrying weapons in the dockyard.

However, according to media reports, the attackers were purportedly planning to hijack the warship PNS Zulfiqar to use it in an attack on one of the US navy’s refuel ships. Two militants were killed and four others were apprehended by security personnel.

Mr Saeed said that the naval authorities did not provide his son the right to a fair trial.

“I wrote a letter to the Judge Advocate General (JAG) of the navy on August 15, 2015, asking him to provide the opportunity of a defence counsel to my son,” he said. “The navy JAG on Sept 21 replied that the option of defence counsel would be available at the time of trial.”

Mr Saeed said that he was waiting for the commencement of the trial when someone recently informed him that his son had been shifted to the Karachi central prison.

The retired army officer came to know about the conclusion of the trial and capital punishment when he went to Karachi and met his son and his four colleagues — Irfanullah, Muhammad Hammad, Arsalan Nazeer and Hashim Naseer — in prison.

“My son told me that a naval court had awarded death penalty to him and four other officers after a secret trial,” he claimed. “The convicted officers informed me that the naval court concluded the trial on April 12 and promulgated the sentence on April 14.”

He said that naval authorities did not provide him copies of the proceedings of the trial when he approached them for the same.

The convict’s father said that he would file an appeal against the judgement before the naval court of appeal.

He claimed that his son and others had been made scapegoats, as this was not the first time when such security lapses came to light.

He said the five officers had been in the navy for only four to five years and they were not capable of seizing a warship and using it for a banned outfit.

In July 2015, the naval authorities informed the Islamabad High Court (IHC) that a ‘missing’ sub-lieutenant, Hafiz Ehsanullah Sajjad, was in their custody in connection with the naval dockyard attack case.

Safia Ismail, the wife of the ‘missing’ officer, had filed a petition before the IHC stating that her husband was detained by the navy without any charge. She said that he was taken away from his residence in Gulshan-i-Iqbal, Karachi, by “some people in plain clothes on the evening of Sept 6, 2014”.

She said that her father, who was also a retired Navy officer, had tried to ascertain his whereabouts but to no avail.

Meanwhile, officials of the Pakistan Navy’s directorate of public relations were not available when Dawn tried to contact them for official confirmation.

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Bank Alfalah Pehchan account

Recent Posts

Imran Khan deal 2025

Imran Khan Treatment Row Deepens as PTI Plans Court Action

Trixie Mattel poses at an amfAR event in Las Vegas

Trixie Mattel Explains TV Set Bathroom Code ‘10-1’

Pakistan Meteorological Department monsoon rainfall infographic showing clouds, rain, radar and a weather map of Pakistan.

Punjab KP Rain Alert Issued For Floods, Thunderstorms

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Former Pakistan cricketer Urooj Mumtaz holding a microphone.
Sports

Pakistan Fast Bowling Decline Linked to Flat Pitches by Urooj

1 Min Read
U.S. Department of War building shown from above
World

US Weapons Stockpiles Face Rapid Rebuild Amid Iran War

1 Min Read
Iran nuclear deal
Top NewsWorld

Russia Arms Shipments to Iran Use Caspian Route: Report

2 Min Read
World

Kuril Islands Missile Drills Test Russian Pacific Fleet

KURIL ISLANDS, Russia: Russia held Kuril Islands missile drills on August 20 and fired several weapons…

August 20, 2026
Khyber PakhtunkhwaPakistan

Tirah Grand Jirga Set for August 20 at Bara Press Club

BARA, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa: A Tirah Grand Jirga will be held on August 20 to discuss the…

August 18, 2026
Punjab

Lahore Family Shooting Leaves Five Dead in Chohang

LAHORE, Punjab: A Lahore family shooting left five people dead in Barkat Colony, Chohang, on Tuesday…

August 18, 2026
World

UAE Iran Strait of Hormuz Vessel Attack: ADNOC Ship Struck

The United Arab Emirates stated on Saturday that Iran attacked an ADNOC Abu Dhabi National Oil…

August 15, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?