Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    GA-20 and Grammy-winning musician Charlie Musselwhite perform “I Can’t Hold Out” during CBS Saturday Morning’s Saturday Sessions on August 1.
    Videos

    GA-20 and Charlie Musselwhite Perform ‘I Can’t Hold Out’

    August 2, 2026 1 Min Read
    Ricky Gervais Alley Cats official Netflix trailer
    Videos

    Ricky Gervais ‘Alley Cats’ Trailer Sets August 7 Debut

    July 23, 2026 2 Min Read
    Sam Fender Olivia Dean break UK chart record with Rein Me In after 16 weeks at No. 1.
    Videos

    Sam Fender, Olivia Dean Break 30-Year UK Chart Record

    July 12, 2026 2 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Anti-Ahmadi bigots demand Ramazan bazaar’s relocation
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
PhotoNews Pakistan > Punjab > Anti-Ahmadi bigots demand Ramazan bazaar’s relocation
Punjab

Anti-Ahmadi bigots demand Ramazan bazaar’s relocation

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published June 8, 2016 4 Min Read
Share
SHARE

A Ramazan Bazaar set up in Chenab Nagar has attracted attention of some self-described anti-Ahmadi bigots who persuaded the district administration to relocate it once and are now threatening public agitation if the facility isn’t shifted away from land owned by the Jamaat-i-Ahmadia.

The Bazaar was initially planned to be set up near a railway crossing on Aqsa Road but the plan was changed over opposition from some clerics. It was then set up at a plot owned by Jamaat Ahmadia about 100 metres away from the initial site.

Chaudhry Islam, one of the two men spearheading the campaign against the bazaar, said he was mobilising the public to press the administration to move the bazaar to a place where only Muslims could benefit from it. “The plot where the bazaar is located is owned by the Ahmadis. This is against the injunctions of Islam,” he said. Islam said the bazaar should be moved to the Muslims Colony [a residential area adjacent to Chenab Nagar]. “Ramazan has nothing to do with Ahmadis. Only Muslims should benefit from such facilities,” he said.

Islam said he had filed a petition in the Lahore High Court in this regard but the court had referred the matter to the office of Chiniot DCO Shaukat Khichi. He said the bazaar had been shifted from the plot closer to the Ahmadi community’s neighbourhood because of their warnings that they would construct a mosque on the plot if it was used for the purpose.

Saleemudin, Jamaat-i-Ahmadia spokesperson, told The Express Tribunethat when the DCO approached the Jamaat for some plot in the area to set up the bazaar he had suggested that it should be set up at a plot owned by the Jamaat on Aqsa Road. He said the establishment of the bazaar was abandoned on resistance from anti-Ahmedia clerics and elements that had illegally occupied the land. He said the bazaar was then set up at its current location near a car parking before the railway crossing. He said the Jamaat had no objection if the facility was shifted to some other place.

He said Ahmadis comprised about 98 per cent of the population in Chenab Nagar. Around 20 plots owned by Ahmadis had been illegally occupied by people supported by anti-Ahmadi clerics.

DCO Shaukat Khichi said there was no mass opposition to the decision to set up the bazaar at its current location. He said Chaudhry Islam and Zulfiqar Ahmed were not residents of the area. “They are just two trouble makers. They want to defame me because I took action against them for blackmailing the administration of a sugar mill,” he said. He said he would take action against the men if there was an imminent threat.

The DCO said he had received no complaint against the bazaar’s location from any resident of the area. He said there were eight other Ramazan Bazaars in the district.

On the relocation of the bazaar, he said he had to do so under pressure from some clerics. He said the bazaar was now fully operational in a tent set up at the current location.

The DCO said there was no restriction on people of other faiths to shop at the Ramazan Bazaars. “Christian citizens in the neighbourhood too shop at Ramazan Bazaars. There is no reason why Ahmedis should not.”

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

UAE will not allow attacks on Iran

US-UAE-Iran Tensions Rise After Reported Missile Launches

India beat Pakistan 5-3 in the 2026 Hockey World Cup

Pakistan-India Hockey: India Win 5-3, Knock Pakistan Out

Image features Mayo Hospital Lahore

Pakistan Private Hospital Care Has Precedents for Politicians

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Witkoff and Kushner
World

Kushner Gaza Peace Talks Shift to Israel After Hamas Meeting

2 Min Read
Netanyahu Faces Trump Pressure As Israel-Iran Fighting Raises Election Risks
World

Netanyahu Backs US Sanctions On ICC, Calls Court ‘Kangaroo’

2 Min Read
iPhone 18 Pro Max camera system in purple
Tech

iPhone 18 Pro Max Camera May Get Sony Variable Aperture

2 Min Read
Tech

ChatGPT for Teens Launches With Stronger Safety Controls

ChatGPT for Teens began rolling out on August 18 with added safety controls, learning tools and…

August 19, 2026
Sindh

Anmol Pinky Indicted in Karachi Negligence Death Case

KARACHI, Sindh: Anmol Pinky was indicted in a death-by-negligence case after a District and Sessions Court…

August 18, 2026
Offbeat

Vibrio Vulnificus Infection Leaves Florida Woman Critically Ill

PENSACOLA, Florida: A Vibrio vulnificus infection left Genevieve Gallagher critically ill after she entered coastal water…

August 17, 2026
Top NewsWorld

US Iran Naval Blockade Can Continue Indefinitely, Hegseth Says

PANAMA: U.S. Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth said Thursday that the US Iran naval blockade could continue…

August 14, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?