Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    GA-20 and Grammy-winning musician Charlie Musselwhite perform “I Can’t Hold Out” during CBS Saturday Morning’s Saturday Sessions on August 1.
    Videos

    GA-20 and Charlie Musselwhite Perform ‘I Can’t Hold Out’

    August 2, 2026 1 Min Read
    Ricky Gervais Alley Cats official Netflix trailer
    Videos

    Ricky Gervais ‘Alley Cats’ Trailer Sets August 7 Debut

    July 23, 2026 2 Min Read
    Sam Fender Olivia Dean break UK chart record with Rein Me In after 16 weeks at No. 1.
    Videos

    Sam Fender, Olivia Dean Break 30-Year UK Chart Record

    July 12, 2026 2 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Retreating Islamic State abducts 2,000 Syrians as ‘human shields’
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
Islamic State
PhotoNews Pakistan > Top News > Retreating Islamic State abducts 2,000 Syrians as ‘human shields’
Top News

Retreating Islamic State abducts 2,000 Syrians as ‘human shields’

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published August 13, 2016 3 Min Read
Share
SHARE
Islamic State group fighters seized around 2,000 civilians to use as “human shields” Friday as they fled their stronghold of Manbij in northern Syria, US-backed forces and a monitor said.

The Arab-Kurdish alliance known as the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) expelled most of the IS fighters from Manbij last week, but dozens continued to put up tough resistance.

On Friday they withdrew from a northern neighbourhood heading for the IS-held town of Jarabulus along the border with Turkey, taking the captives with them, as the Pentagon said the retreat showed the group was “on the ropes”.

“While withdrawing from a district of Manbij, Daesh (IS) jihadists abducted around 2,000 civilians from Al-Sirb neighbourhood,” said Sherfan Darwish, spokesman for the Manbij Military Council, a key component of the SDF.

“They used these civilians as human shields as they withdrew to Jarabulus, thus preventing us from targeting them,” he said, adding that women and children were among those taken.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which relies on sources inside Syria to cover the war, gave a similar report, saying IS forced around 2,000 civilians into cars it confiscated.

The jihadists, who have suffered a string of losses in Syria and Iraq, have often staged mass kidnappings when they come under pressure to relinquish territory they hold.

“Although fighting in Manbij continues, ISIL is clearly on the ropes. It has lost the centre of Manbij, it has lost control of Manbij,” Pentagon deputy press secretary Gordon Trowbridge said, using another name for the group.

The EU denounced the use of civilians as human shields, saying in a statement that “Daesh (IS) continues to pose a threat to the people of Syria, Iraq, the region as well as to Europe and beyond”.

IS has also used civilians as human shields, booby-trapped cars and carried out suicide bombings to slow advances by their opponents.

Thousands of civilians were held captive by the group in Fallujah, which Iraqi forces recaptured in June after a four-week offensive.

On Friday, the SITE intelligence Group said IS had killed five men in Iraq for smuggling people out of territory it controls.

SDF forces captured Manbij on August 6 but continued to battle pockets of jihadists in parts of the town.

Darwish said the SDF rescued 2,500 civilians who were held captive by IS fighters before they fled and combed Al-Sirb on Friday for any remaining jihadists.

With air support from the US-led coalition, the SDF began its assault on Manbij on May 31, surging into the town itself three weeks later.

But their offensive was slowed by a massive jihadist fightback, before a major push last week saw the alliance seize 90 percent of the town. (AFP)

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

US-Iran investment fund proposal outlines $300 billion private financing plan linked to final deal talks.

Trump Warns Countries Helping Iran of Economic Consequences

Gilgit-Baltistan coalition government agreed by PPP and PML-N after election results.

PPP Agrees to Back Government Bill After Naqvi-Zardari Talks

Trump fuel price probe will ask the Justice Department to review gasoline pricing after the president accused oil firms of gouging.

US Debt Tops $40 Trillion as Interest Costs Surge

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier with fighter jets at sea.
World

USS Lincoln Mental Health Concerns Draw Command Review

2 Min Read
Pakistani climber Sohail Sakhi on a snow-covered mountain ridge.
Gilgit - Baltistan

Sohail Sakhi Recovery Lifts Broad Peak Total to Eight

2 Min Read
Benjamin Netanyahu Lindsey Graham and David Friedman visit Golan Heights
World

Golan Heights Quote Attributed to Iran Has No Official Record

2 Min Read
Azad Jammu Kashmir

AJK Poll Rigging, New Provinces: Bilawal to Address Parliament

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan: Pakistan Peoples Party sources expect Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari to address Parliament by Wednesday,…

August 17, 2026
Business

Unitree Robotics IPO Jumps 460% in Shanghai Debut

Unitree Robotics IPO shares surged more than 460% on August 19 as the Chinese humanoid robot…

August 19, 2026
World

Trump Oman Threat Escalates as US-Iran Ceasefire Expires

WASHINGTON: Trump's Oman threat escalated Gulf tensions Monday as President Donald Trump said the United States…

August 17, 2026
Sports

Women’s U20 World Cup Boycott Threat Hangs Over Poland

WARSAW: A Women’s U20 World Cup boycott threat remained unresolved on Aug. 15, three weeks before…

August 15, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?