A Quetta train blast near Chaman Phatak killed at least 19 people and injured more than 70 on Sunday, according to the Associated Press.
Police said the explosion struck as a passenger train passed through the area. The blast overturned and set fire to train cars, damaged nearby buildings and destroyed several vehicles, AP reported.
Rescue teams shifted the injured to Civil Hospital Quetta, Balochistan Medical Complex and other trauma centres. Authorities declared an emergency at hospitals as doctors treated passengers, security personnel, women and children.
#Quetta #Balochistan #train
No official word yet on casualties due to expolsion near a train in Quetta Balochistan. But some sources say around 15 people are dead and 40 injured so far. It was a suicide blast in a vehicle, according to initial investigation. Correspondents say… pic.twitter.com/OJGzOpd8cE
— Tahir Khan (@taahir_khan) May 24, 2026
Earlier local reports placed the death toll at 14, including three Frontier Corps personnel. The figures rose later as officials reported more casualties from the blast site and hospitals.
The Baloch Liberation Army claimed responsibility for the attack, AP reported. The group said it targeted a train carrying security personnel.
Security forces cordoned off the area after the explosion and launched an investigation. Police also tightened checks at entry and exit points in Quetta, Balochistan.
Read: Quetta Railway Blast Injures 20 Near Chaman Phatak
Pakistan Railways suspended train service on the affected track. Heavy machinery worked to clear debris and restore the line.
Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif condemned the attack and said such acts could not weaken Pakistan’s resolve against terrorism. Balochistan Chief Minister Mir Sarfraz Bugti also condemned the bombing and said those involved deserved no leniency.