Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    Shakira 2026 World Cup anthem
    Videos

    Shakira 2026 World Cup Anthem “Dai Dai” Featuring Burna Boy Unveiled

    May 8, 2026 2 Min Read
    Zayn Malik
    Videos

    Zayn Malik Releases Die For Me Music Video Ahead of New Album

    February 6, 2026 3 Min Read
    Masters of the Universe teaser
    Videos

    Masters of the Universe Teaser Reveals Nicholas Galitzine as He-Man

    January 22, 2026 3 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: White House blames North Korea for cyber attack
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
PhotoNews Pakistan > Tech > White House blames North Korea for cyber attack
TechTop NewsWorld

White House blames North Korea for cyber attack

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published December 19, 2017 4 Min Read
Share
SHARE

The White House on Tuesday publicly accused North Korea of launching a massive cyber attack that hit 150 countries last May — hobbling networks from Britain’s public health system to FedEx.

“After careful investigation, the United States is publicly attributing the massive ‘WannaCry’ cyber attack to North Korea,” said White House homeland security advisor Tom Bossert.

“We do not make this allegation lightly, we do so with evidence and we do so with partners,” he added.

Exploiting a security flaw in Microsoft’s Windows XP operating system, the malware infected an estimated 300,000 computers demanding ransom to decrypt data.

The United States is the latest country to point the finger of blame at Pyongyang, attribution which comes as part of a drive to exert “maximum pressure” on the regime.

As yet, no retaliatory measures have been announced.

Among the infected computers were those at Britain’s National Health Service (NHS), Spanish telecoms company Telefonica and US logistics company FedEx.

London had already blamed North Korea, which hit a third of Britain’s public hospitals.

Pyongyang then denied the allegation, saying it went “beyond the limit of our tolerance” and was a “wicked attempt to lure the international community into harbouring greater mistrust of the DPRK.”

US government under scrutiny

Questions had been raised about whether the US government acted in a timely manner to respond to the attack, with Microsoft accusing Washington of spotting the flaw and using it for its own ends.

“This attack provides yet another example of why the stockpiling of vulnerabilities by governments is such a problem,” Microsoft’s Brad Smith said at the time.

“Repeatedly, exploits in the hands of governments have leaked into the public domain and caused widespread damage,” he said, claiming that the National Security Agency of spotting the flaw and saying nothing.

Bossert said that the United States kept only 10 percent of security flaws secret and had no policy of “stockpiling” or withholding information from potential targets.

Since coming to office Donald Trump has sought to put pressure on North Korea, as its reclusive leaders edge ever-closer to developing a ballistic missile that could deliver a nuclear warhead to the United States.

Amid a series of tests, Trump’s administration has appeared at odds over whether talks could offer a way out of the standoff.

National Security Advisor HR McMaster tried to clean up that question in an interview with the BBC, saying the United States wanted a peaceful solution: “Of course that’s what we want but we are not committed to a peaceful resolution.”

“We are committed to a resolution, we want the resolution to be peaceful. But, as the president has said, all options are on the table and we have to be prepared if necessary to compel the denuclearization of North Korea without the cooperation of that regime.”

Trump’s first National Security Strategy released Monday, declared that “North Korea seeks the capability to kill millions of Americans with nuclear weapons.”

“Continued provocations by North Korea will prompt neighbouring countries and the United States to further strengthen security bonds and take additional measures to protect themselves.” (AFP)

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

A severely burned car sits in a driveway outside a fire-damaged building following a reported arson incident in Melbourne.

Melbourne Arson Attacks Bring 51 Arrests In Probe

A black car belonging to Malik Tariq Khan, chief of Ahmedzai Wazir, shows extensive damage and impact marks on its doors and windows.

Wana Market Blast Kills Three in South Waziristan

Two Bangladesh cricket players in white Test uniforms stand on the field during the Dutch-Bangla Bank Bangladesh vs Pakistan Test Series 2026.

Pakistan vs Bangladesh 2nd Test: Hosts Lead by 249

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Anmol Pinky appears in a white head covering outside Karachi court, surrounded by police officials.
Sindh

Anmol Pinky Court Appearance Sparks Police Conduct Claims

2 Min Read
US Congressman Jack Bergman smiles in a formal portrait with an American flag in the background.
Pakistan

Pakistan US-Iran Talks Role Praised by US Lawmaker

1 Min Read
Traders and police clash during an FIA raid on a jeweller’s shop in Sarafa Bazaar, Karachi, on May 16, 2026.
Sindh

FIA Sarafa Bazaar Raid Probe Assured to Jewellers

2 Min Read
Top NewsWorld

Trump Iran Warning Escalates Pressure on Tehran

U.S. President Donald Trump warned Iran on Sunday to move quickly toward a peace deal with…

May 18, 2026
Sindh

Sindh Market Timings Exemption Announced For Businesses

The Sindh government has exempted markets, shopping malls, restaurants, hotels, marriage halls and marquees from fixed…

May 16, 2026
Sindh

Jacobabad Arson Incident Prompts Sindh Action

Jacobabad, Sindh: The Sindh government sought a report and ordered action after houses in a village…

May 17, 2026
World

Samsung Labor Strike South Korea Risks $667 Million Daily Loss

Seoul: South Korea plans emergency measures to prevent a labour strike at Samsung Electronics, the world’s…

May 17, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?