Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    Shakira 2026 World Cup anthem
    Videos

    Shakira 2026 World Cup Anthem “Dai Dai” Featuring Burna Boy Unveiled

    May 8, 2026 2 Min Read
    Zayn Malik
    Videos

    Zayn Malik Releases Die For Me Music Video Ahead of New Album

    February 6, 2026 3 Min Read
    Masters of the Universe teaser
    Videos

    Masters of the Universe Teaser Reveals Nicholas Galitzine as He-Man

    January 22, 2026 3 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: US swimmers leave Brazil after admitting to inventing mugging
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
US Swimmers
PhotoNews Pakistan > Top News > US swimmers leave Brazil after admitting to inventing mugging
Top News

US swimmers leave Brazil after admitting to inventing mugging

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published August 19, 2016 6 Min Read
Share
SHARE
US Olympic authorities apologised to Brazil on Thursday as two US swimmers were allowed to go home having retracted a fabricated story about being mugged in Rio.

A third American swimmer who is still in Brazil can leave the country after he paid a donation to an “institution” of nearly $11,000, US broadcaster NBC reported his lawyer as saying early Friday.

Four US swimmers, including six gold medal hero Ryan Lochte, have been at the centre of a media storm since claiming they were held up at gunpoint after leaving a party in the early hours of Sunday.

“We apologise to our hosts in Rio and the people of Brazil for this distracting ordeal in the midst of what should rightly be a celebration of excellence,” US Olympic Committee CEO Scott Blackmun said in a statement.

Blackmun spoke after Brazilian police let Gunnar Bentz and Jack Conger leave the country. “Their passports have been released and they recently departed Rio,” he said.

A third swimmer, James Feigen, gave police a “revised statement,” Blackmun said.

He agreed to a deal in which he would make a hefty donation to an unspecified group in exchange for permission to leave, NBC said.

“After a long deliberation, this agreement was reached…he will donate 35,000 real ($10,800) to an institute, and with that, the case is resolved,” the broadcaster cited Feigen’s lawyer Breno Melaragno as saying.

“After this donation is done, his passport will be given back to him, and he will be free to return home.”

Lochte was already back in the United States when the scandal erupted.

Lochte said on Sunday that the four had been victims of a robbery by at least one armed assailant posing as a Rio policeman.

The claim forced Brazil’s Olympics organisers into an apology for the supposed security lapse.

Amid growing doubts, however, a Brazilian judge issued an order Wednesday that all four swimmers be kept in Brazil while the story was probed.

Brazilian police said Thursday the athletes were drunk and got into an altercation with security staff after vandalising a gas station bathroom during a night on the town.

Blackmun indicated that the athletes, questioned by police Thursday, had confirmed the police version.

“They stopped at a gas station to use the restroom, where one of the athletes committed an act of vandalism,” the US statement said.

“An argument ensued between the athletes and two armed gas station security staff, who displayed their weapons, ordered the athletes from their vehicle and demanded the athletes provide a monetary payment. Once the security officials received money from the athletes, the athletes were allowed to leave.”

Lies and videotape

Rio de Janeiro’s police Chief Fernando Veloso called on the athletes to apologise.

He said CCTV footage at the gas station showed a security official pulling his weapon to restrain a drunk and angry Lochte and his teammates because they tried to leave after damaging the bathroom.

“There was no robbery of the kind reported by the athletes,” Veloso told a press conference.

“The images do not show any kind of violence against them.”

He said police believed the swimmers handed over the equivalent of about $50 in cash to pay for the damage before leaving.

Veloso said it was still not decided what charges, if any, would be brought against the swimmers.

“In theory, they could end up facing charges of falsely reporting a crime and damage to property,” he said. Neither offence is punishable by prison.

“It would be noble and dignified of them to apologise. The only thing they told the truth about is that they were drunk.”

Rio 2016 Olympics chief spokesman Mario Andrada, who had apologised to the athletes after the supposed robbery, was in forgiving mood Thursday.

“Let’s give these kids a break,” Andrada told a news conference. “These kids were trying to have fun…They made a mistake, it is part of life.”

International scandal

Lochte, one of the most visible US faces at the Olympics, said an assailant put a gun to his forehead after the swimmers’ taxi was pulled over.

“The guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, ‘Get down,’” Lochte recounted.

“He took our money, he took my wallet – he left my cell phone, he left my credentials.”

His report caused the Olympic authorities huge embarrassment and overshadowed sporting action in the second week of South America’s first Olympics.

It followed numerous confirmed incidents of theft from Olympic athletes and media covering the Games.

Brazil has deployed 85,000 police and soldiers to secure the Olympics.

The Lochte affair coincided with the arrest in Rio of International Olympic Committee member Patrick Hickey on allegations of taking part in a black market ticket ring.

Hickey fell ill during his arrest Wednesday. He left hospital on Thursday in a black car following a police car.

He was expected to face interrogation. (AFP)

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

Golfer Aaron Rai holds up a golf ball while standing on the course after his U.S. PGA Championship win at Aronimink Golf Club.

Aaron Rai US PGA Win Seals First Major Title

Composite image of US President Donald Trump and Iran’s Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei against the US and Iranian flags.

US Iran Talks Stall As Lawmaker Threatens Reward

A large gold Bitcoin coin stands in front of a Standard Chartered building entrance in a digital finance-themed graphic.

Standard Chartered Zodia Deal Expands Crypto Custody

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

A graphic shows Cristiano Ronaldo for Al Nassr facing Karim Benzema for Al-Nassr Vs Al-Hilal and club logos and Roshn Saudi League branding
Sports

Al-Nassr Vs Al-Hilal Title Decider Puts Ronaldo In Focus

1 Min Read
Pakistan and Bangladesh captains stand near the stumps on the pitch during the toss before the second Test match.
Sports

Pakistan Bangladesh Second Test Begins In Sylhet

1 Min Read
A military jet descends in the sky while several parachutes deploy after an air show collision in Mountain Home, Idaho.
Offbeat

Military Jets Collision at Idaho Air Show Injures None

2 Min Read
World

Samsung Labor Strike South Korea Risks $667 Million Daily Loss

Seoul: South Korea plans emergency measures to prevent a labour strike at Samsung Electronics, the world’s…

May 17, 2026
Entertainment

Dark Horse Bolsonaro Film Hit By Funding Scandal

Jim Caviezel’s Dark Horse Bolsonaro film became entangled in Brazil’s Banco Master scandal after Senator Flávio…

May 16, 2026
World

China Uses Name Workaround for Rubio Ban in Beijing

Beijing, China: China used a name workaround to the Rubio China ban, allowing US Secretary of State…

May 15, 2026
Sindh

FIA Sarafa Bazaar Raid Probe Assured to Jewellers

Karachi, Sindh: The Federal Investigation Agency’s Karachi Zone director has assured jewellers that the FIA Sarafa…

May 17, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?