Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    Shakira 2026 World Cup anthem
    Videos

    Shakira 2026 World Cup Anthem “Dai Dai” Featuring Burna Boy Unveiled

    May 8, 2026 2 Min Read
    Zayn Malik
    Videos

    Zayn Malik Releases Die For Me Music Video Ahead of New Album

    February 6, 2026 3 Min Read
    Masters of the Universe teaser
    Videos

    Masters of the Universe Teaser Reveals Nicholas Galitzine as He-Man

    January 22, 2026 3 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: US military to accept transgender recruits on Monday: Pentagon
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
PhotoNews Pakistan > Top News > US military to accept transgender recruits on Monday: Pentagon
Top NewsWorld

US military to accept transgender recruits on Monday: Pentagon

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published January 2, 2018 5 Min Read
Share
SHARE

Transgender people will be allowed for the first time to enlist in the US military starting on Monday as ordered by federal courts, the Pentagon said on Friday, after President Donald Trump’s administration decided not to appeal rulings that blocked his transgender ban.

Two federal appeals courts, one in Washington and one in Virginia, last week rejected the administration’s request to put on hold orders by lower court judges requiring the military to begin accepting transgender recruits on Jan. 1.

A Justice Department official said the administration will not challenge those rulings.

“The Department of Defense has announced that it will be releasing an independent study of these issues in the coming weeks. So rather than litigate this interim appeal before that occurs, the administration has decided to wait for DOD’s study and will continue to defend the president’s lawful authority in District Court in the meantime,” the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

In September, the Pentagon said it had created a panel of senior officials to study how to implement a directive by Trump to prohibit transgender individuals from serving. The Defense Department has until Feb. 21 to submit a plan to Trump.

Lawyers representing currently-serving transgender service members and aspiring recruits said they had expected the administration to appeal the rulings to the conservative-majority Supreme Court, but were hoping that would not happen.

Pentagon spokeswoman Heather Babb said in a statement: “As mandated by court order, the Department of Defense is prepared to begin accessing transgender applicants for military service Jan. 1. All applicants must meet all accession standards.”

“I’m hoping it means the government has come to see that there is no way to justify a ban and that it’s not good for the military or our country,” Levi said. Both GLAD and the American Civil Liberties Union represent plaintiffs in the lawsuits filed against the administration.

Costs and Disruption

In a move that appealed to his hard-line conservative supporters, Trump announced in July that he would prohibit transgender people from serving in the military, reversing Democratic President Barack Obama’s policy of accepting them. Trump said on Twitter at the time that the military “cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail.”

Four federal judges – in Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Seattle and Riverside, California – have issued rulings blocking Trump’s ban while legal challenges to the Republican president’s policy proceed. The judges said the ban would likely violate the right under the U.S. Constitution to equal protection under the law.

The Pentagon on Dec. 8 issued guidelines to recruitment personnel in order to enlist transgender applicants by Jan. 1. The memo outlined medical requirements and specified how the applicants’ sex would be identified and even which undergarments they would wear.

The Trump administration previously said in legal papers that the armed forces were not prepared to train thousands of personnel on the medical standards needed to process transgender applicants and might have to accept “some individuals who are not medically fit for service.”

The Obama administration had set a deadline of July 1, 2017, to begin accepting transgender recruits. But Trump’s defense secretary, James Mattis, postponed that date to Jan. 1, 2018, which the president’s ban then put off indefinitely.

Trump has taken other steps aimed at rolling back transgender rights. In October, his administration said a federal law banning gender-based workplace discrimination does not protect transgender employees, reversing another Obama-era position. In February, Trump rescinded guidance issued by the Obama administration saying that public schools should allow transgender students to use the restroom that corresponds to their gender identity. (Reuters)

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

A severely burned car sits in a driveway outside a fire-damaged building following a reported arson incident in Melbourne.

Melbourne Arson Attacks Bring 51 Arrests In Probe

A black car belonging to Malik Tariq Khan, chief of Ahmedzai Wazir, shows extensive damage and impact marks on its doors and windows.

Wana Market Blast Kills Three in South Waziristan

Two Bangladesh cricket players in white Test uniforms stand on the field during the Dutch-Bangla Bank Bangladesh vs Pakistan Test Series 2026.

Pakistan vs Bangladesh 2nd Test: Hosts Lead by 249

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Liaqat Ali foiled near the Khushal Garh Railway Bridge.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa

Attock Suicide Attack Foiled As Citizen Dies Near Bridge

2 Min Read
British flag in the foreground with Big Ben and supermarket shelves in the background, representing inflation in the UK.
Tech

UK AI Disinformation Network Uses AI Videos to Spread Anti-Immigration Views

2 Min Read
Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr stands in front of a Chase Center and San Francisco Bay backdrop with the Warriors logo.
Sports

Steve Kerr Warriors Extension Raises Roster Questions

2 Min Read
Gilgit - Baltistan

KCBL CEO Case: GB Court Orders Verdict Compliance

GILGIT, Gilgit-Baltistan: The Gilgit-Baltistan Chief Court ordered authorities to implement its December 15, 2025, verdict in…

May 14, 2026
Top NewsWorld

Who is Abu Bilal Al Minuki Killed In US-Nigeria Operation?

President Donald Trump said Abu-Bilal al-Minuki was killed in a joint US-Nigerian military operation on Friday,…

May 16, 2026
Sports

Rousey Vs Carano Headlines MVP MMA 1 In California

Rousey vs Carano will headline MVP MMA 1 at the Intuit Dome in California on Saturday,…

May 16, 2026
Sindh

Anmol Pinky Audio Leak Surfaces In Karachi Drug Case

An Anmol Pinky audio clip has surfaced online in which a woman identified as the drug-dealing…

May 12, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?