Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    Shakira 2026 World Cup anthem
    Videos

    Shakira 2026 World Cup Anthem “Dai Dai” Featuring Burna Boy Unveiled

    May 8, 2026 2 Min Read
    Zayn Malik
    Videos

    Zayn Malik Releases Die For Me Music Video Ahead of New Album

    February 6, 2026 3 Min Read
    Masters of the Universe teaser
    Videos

    Masters of the Universe Teaser Reveals Nicholas Galitzine as He-Man

    January 22, 2026 3 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Gunman kills 11 in Daesh-claimed attacks on Egypt church, shop
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
PhotoNews Pakistan > Top News > Gunman kills 11 in Daesh-claimed attacks on Egypt church, shop
Top NewsWorld

Gunman kills 11 in Daesh-claimed attacks on Egypt church, shop

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published December 30, 2017 4 Min Read
Share
SHARE

A gunman killed at least 11 people on Friday in attacks on a Coptic Orthodox church and a Christian-owned shop near Cairo before he was wounded and arrested, the Egyptian interior ministry and church officials said.

Daesh claimed responsibility for the attacks, in a statement carried out by its Amaq news agency, though it provided no evidence for the claim.

Police have stepped up security measures around churches ahead of Coptic Christmas celebrations on January 7, deploying officers outside Christian places of worship and setting up metal detectors at some of the bigger churches.

Militants have claimed several attacks on Egypt’s large Christian minority in recent years, including two bombings on Palm Sunday in April and a blast at Cairo’s largest Coptic cathedral in December 2016 that killed 28 people.

Earlier reports by security sources and state media said at least two attackers were involved in Friday’s attack, and that one was shot dead and another fled the scene. The interior ministry did not explain the reason for the different accounts.

The Coptic Church said the gunman first shot at a Christian-owned shop 4 kilometres (3 miles) away, killing two people, before proceeding to the Mar Mina church in the southern Cairo suburb of Helwan.

The Interior Ministry said he opened fire at the entrance to the site and tried to throw an explosive device.

The gunman killed at least nine people — including a policeman — at the church, according to Interior Ministry and Coptic Church accounts. The Church said a young woman had died later from her wounds, bringing the civilian death toll at the church to eight.

The ministry said security forces had “immediately dealt with the (attacker) and arrested him after he was wounded”.

It added, “Legal measures have been taken,” without elaborating.

Investigators have identified the gunman, the ministry said, adding that he had carried out several attacks since last year. Egypt is also grappling with a deadly Daesh insurgency in the North Sinai region.

The health ministry said five people had been wounded, including two women who it said were in a serious condition.

A joint funeral for eight of those killed was held on Friday evening at the Virgin Mary church in Helwan.

Pope Tawadros II — the head of the Coptic Church — led mourning for the victims.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi also offered his condolences to the families and ordered security forces to increase safety measures at sensitive sites, his office said in a statement.

US President Donald Trump spoke by phone on Friday with al-Sisi and condemned the attack, the White House said in a statement.

Cairo’s state prosecutor said that an investigation had been launched into the incident.

“The shooting began at 10:30 AM and carried on for more than 15 minutes… There was more than one attacker,” Mohammed Hussein Abdelhadi — who lives close to the church — told Reuters.

A witness who did not want to give his name said the policeman was killed while he was closing the church gate to stop the gunman getting in. (Reuters)

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

A severely burned car sits in a driveway outside a fire-damaged building following a reported arson incident in Melbourne.

Melbourne Arson Attacks Bring 51 Arrests In Probe

A black car belonging to Malik Tariq Khan, chief of Ahmedzai Wazir, shows extensive damage and impact marks on its doors and windows.

Wana Market Blast Kills Three in South Waziristan

Two Bangladesh cricket players in white Test uniforms stand on the field during the Dutch-Bangla Bank Bangladesh vs Pakistan Test Series 2026.

Pakistan vs Bangladesh 2nd Test: Hosts Lead by 249

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Rows of blue metal oil barrels are stacked outdoors near industrial structures.
Business

Oil Prices Rise As US-Iran Talks Keep Supply Risks Alive

3 Min Read
President Donald Trump stands with Todd Blanche, then deputy attorney general, during a 2025 news briefing.
Top NewsWorld

US Federal Executions Expanded Under Trump DOJ

1 Min Read
Higher Education Commission (HEC) and Pakistan's flag
Pakistan

HEC Degree Attestation Goes Fully Online From May 11

2 Min Read
Sindh

Anmol Pinky Network Had 22 Couriers

Karachi, Sindh Police investigators obtained data on three handlers and 22 couriers allegedly linked to the…

May 16, 2026
Tech

Spain AI Rules To Advance Despite Tech Lobbying

Spain AI rules and social media safety measures will move ahead despite lobbying from the technology…

May 13, 2026
Sports

Rafael Jodar Reaches Rome Quarters With 6-1, 6-4 Win

Rafael Jodar became the youngest Italian Open quarter-finalist in 21 years after beating American Learner Tien…

May 13, 2026
World

House Iran War Vote Fails on 212-212 Tie

Washington, United States: The U.S. House blocked a resolution that would have required President Donald J.…

May 15, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?