Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    Shakira 2026 World Cup anthem
    Videos

    Shakira 2026 World Cup Anthem “Dai Dai” Featuring Burna Boy Unveiled

    May 8, 2026 2 Min Read
    Zayn Malik
    Videos

    Zayn Malik Releases Die For Me Music Video Ahead of New Album

    February 6, 2026 3 Min Read
    Masters of the Universe teaser
    Videos

    Masters of the Universe Teaser Reveals Nicholas Galitzine as He-Man

    January 22, 2026 3 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Dozens killed as Taliban launch fresh assaults on Afghan bases
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
Afghan Taliban
PhotoNews Pakistan > Top News > Dozens killed as Taliban launch fresh assaults on Afghan bases
Top NewsWorld

Dozens killed as Taliban launch fresh assaults on Afghan bases

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published October 19, 2017 6 Min Read
Share
SHARE

Militants launched two separate attacks on Afghan security installations killing dozens of soldiers Thursday, the latest in a series of devastating assaults this week that have left more than 120 people dead and underscored spiralling insecurity.

At least 43 Afghan soldiers were killed and nine wounded in a Taliban-claimed assault on a military base in southern Afghanistan which saw the insurgents blast their way into the compound with at least one explosives-laden Humvee, the defence ministry said.

A security source in Kandahar put the toll at 50 dead and 20 wounded. But the real figure is likely to be higher because Afghan officials habitually understate the actual number of casualties.

The militants razed the base in the Chashmo area of Maiwand district in Kandahar province to the ground, according to the ministry.

“Unfortunately there is nothing left inside the camp. They have burned down everything they found inside,” defence ministry spokesman Dawlat Waziri said.

Just two soldiers were known to have survived unscathed, with six unaccounted for, the ministry said, underscoring the shocking casualties that Afghan security forces have faced in their struggle to beat back the insurgents. Ten militants were killed, it added.

US planes carried out an airstrike during a counter-terror operation in Maiwand on Thursday, a spokesman for US Forces in Kabul said, though he did not specify whether the target was insurgents at the base.

Provincial officials said two Humvee vehicles were used in the attack which was condemned by President Ashraf Ghani. They said the assault may have been carried out with insider help.

The Taliban claimed the ambush in a message to journalists that said all 60 security personnel on the base were killed.

“We have sent a delegation to assess the situation. The base is under ANA (Afghan National Army) control,” Waziri added.

Separately Thursday, militants besieged a police headquarters in the southeastern province of Ghazni, attacking it for the second time this week.

Airstrikes were called in to support embattled police in the ongoing assault, which has killed two security forces so far, Ghazni provincial police chief Mohammad Zaman told AFP. The strikes were not immediately confirmed by US Forces.

Officials said the earlier assault on the headquarters, which took place on Tuesday, left 20 people dead and 46 wounded.

Thursday´s attacks take the number of major suicide and gun assaults on security installations this week to four and increases the total death toll to more than 120, including soldiers, police and civilians.

In three out of the four assaults this week the Taliban used a Humvee vehicle as a bomb to blast their way into their targets.

Security forces under siege

US President Donald Trump vowed earlier this year to stay the course in Afghanistan, America´s longest war.

But the Taliban said the recent assaults were a “clear message to the Americans and the Kabul government, that they cannot scare us with their new so-called strategy”.

Beleaguered Afghan security forces have faced soaring casualties in their attempts to hold back the insurgents since NATO combat forces pulled out of the country at the end of 2014.

Casualties leapt by 35 per cent in 2016, with 6,800 soldiers and police killed, according to US watchdog SIGAR.

The insurgents have carried out more complex attacks against security forces in 2017, with SIGAR describing troop casualties in the early part of the year as “shockingly high”.

The attacks included assaults on a military hospital in Kabul in March which may have killed up to 100 people, and on a base in Mazar-i-Sharif in April which left 144 people dead.

Eroded morale

The assaults, along with high rates of desertion and corruption, have eroded morale.

This week’s attacks come near the end of the summer fighting season, when militants traditionally intensify their offensives across the country.

They began hours after US drone strikes in the tribal region along the border with Pakistan killed more than two dozen militants, according to sources and local officials.

Tuesday´s attacks alone killed 80 people in total and wounded nearly 300 in the bloodiest day in the war-torn country in almost five months.

The deadliest of Tuesday´s assaults was on a police compound in the city of Gardez in Paktia province where Taliban militants disguised as police detonated three explosive-packed vehicles — including a truck and a Humvee — that cleared the way for 11 gunmen to enter.

At least 60 people, including Paktia police chief Toryalai Abdyani and civilians waiting to collect documents, were killed in the blasts and ensuing battle that lasted around five hours, health officials said, with more than 230 wounded.

Afghan forces now control 59.7pc of the country, up from 57.2pc the previous quarter, according to SIGAR´s assessment earlier this year.

But the Taliban and other insurgent groups have also seen their areas of control or influence increase slightly from about 10 percent to 11.1 percent. (Reuters)

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

Former Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan appears in an image associated with the cypher case.

Imran Khan Cypher Cable Published by Drop Site News

Pakistan Stock Exchange market data is displayed on a green financial graphic, highlighting trading activity and market performance.

KSE-100 Index Falls as Oil, IMF Worries Hit PSX

U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent stands in a navy suit and striped tie while speaking near an American flag

G7 Iran Sanctions Push Led by US Treasury Chief

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Conan O'Brien Oscars Host
Entertainment

Conan O’Brien Oscars Host Return Set For 2027 Show

1 Min Read
Tom Cruise appears in aviator sunglasses and a flight jacket beside the Top Gun logo, with a fighter jet blurred in the background.
Entertainment

Tom Cruise Top Gun Films Return For 40th Anniversary

1 Min Read
Russian President Vladimir Putin and Afghanistan’s Foreign Minister Amir Khan Muttaqi appear beside Taliban flags and vehicles in a news-style composite graphic.
World

Russia Taliban Partnership Expands Regional Ties

1 Min Read
Tech

Instagram Instants Feature Gets Mixed User Reaction

Instagram Instants launched on May 13, 2026, giving users a way to share unedited photos with…

May 17, 2026
BusinessTop News

Boeing China Aircraft Deal Opens With 200 Jets

The Boeing Company confirmed China made an initial commitment to buy 200 aircraft after United States…

May 16, 2026
Top NewsWorld

Trump Threatens Primary Challenger Against Boebert

Washington: President Donald Trump threatened to support a primary challenger to Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO)…

May 17, 2026
Entertainment

Sanam Saeed Cannes Debut Celebrates Pakistan Heritage

Pakistani actor Sanam Saeed made her Cannes Film Festival 2026 debut, saying she walked as a…

May 18, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?