Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    GA-20 and Grammy-winning musician Charlie Musselwhite perform “I Can’t Hold Out” during CBS Saturday Morning’s Saturday Sessions on August 1.
    Videos

    GA-20 and Charlie Musselwhite Perform ‘I Can’t Hold Out’

    August 2, 2026 1 Min Read
    Ricky Gervais Alley Cats official Netflix trailer
    Videos

    Ricky Gervais ‘Alley Cats’ Trailer Sets August 7 Debut

    July 23, 2026 2 Min Read
    Sam Fender Olivia Dean break UK chart record with Rein Me In after 16 weeks at No. 1.
    Videos

    Sam Fender, Olivia Dean Break 30-Year UK Chart Record

    July 12, 2026 2 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Several killed, wounded in Taliban-claimed Kabul blast
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
kabul blast
PhotoNews Pakistan > World > Several killed, wounded in Taliban-claimed Kabul blast
World

Several killed, wounded in Taliban-claimed Kabul blast

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published April 19, 2016 4 Min Read
Share
SHARE

“A powerful car bomb followed by a fierce firefight claimed by Taliban terrorists left many people dead or wounded in Kabul early morning today”, the Afghan president said, a week after the insurgents launched their annual spring offensive.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack near government offices, which sent clouds of acrid smoke billowing in the sky and rattled windows several miles away.

Taliban spokesperson, Zabihullah Mujahid, said a group of heavily armed suicide bombers launched the attack against one of the intelligence offices.

“Martyrdom attacks were launched in Kabul’s administration’s worst brutal and inhuman intelligence organ at 9 am,” Mujahid said in a statement.

He further said that the attack was part of the Taliban’s Spring Offensive named after the group’s founder Mullah Mohammad Omar.

The brazen assault in a densely packed neighbourhood marks the first major Taliban attack in Kabul since the insurgents announced the start of this year’s fighting season.

“(We) condemn in the strongest terms the terrorist attack in Puli Mahmood Khan neighbourhood of Kabul, as a result of which many of our countrymen were martyred and wounded,” Ghani said in a statement without specifying the number.

“Such cowardly terrorist attacks will not weaken the will and determination of Afghan security forces to fight against terrorism.”

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed their fighters had managed to enter the offices of the National Directorate of Security, the main spy agency.

Afghan officials did not confirm that claim but intense gun battles could be heard near the NDS compound. The Taliban are generally known to exaggerate battlefield claims.

“The first blast was carried out by a suicide bomber in a car and possibly one or two bombers are still resisting,” interior ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi told AFP.

“The scene of the attack has been completely cordoned off by Afghan security forces.”

The Taliban on Tuesday last week announced the start of their “spring offensive” even as the government in Kabul seeks to bring them back to the negotiating table to end the drawn-out conflict.

The Taliban warned they would “employ large-scale attacks on enemy positions across the country” during the offensive dubbed Operation Omari in honour of the movement’s late founder Mullah Omar, whose death was announced last year.

The insurgents began the fighting season last week by targeting the northern city of Kunduz, which they briefly captured last year in a stunning setback for Afghan forces.

But officials said Afghan security forces drove Taliban fighters back from the city on Friday.

The annual spring offensive normally marks the start of the “fighting season”, though this past winter the lull was shorter and rebels continued to battle government forces, albeit with less intensity.

The Taliban’s resurgence has raised serious questions about Afghan forces’ capacity to hold their own. An estimated 5,500 troops were killed last year, the worst-ever toll.

Peace talks which began last summer were abruptly halted after it was revealed that Taliban leader Mullah Omar had been dead for two years, a disclosure which sparked infighting in the insurgents’ ranks.

A four-country group comprising Afghanistan, the United States, China and Pakistan has been holding meetings since January aimed at jump-starting negotiations, though their efforts have so far been in vain.

Read : Another bomb blast in Kabul: 12 dead, many injured

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

ChatGPT down

ChatGPT for Teens Launches With Stronger Safety Controls

Great Britain hockey team celebrates Rio 2016 Olympic gold.

Great Britain Hockey Gold Marks 10 Years Since Rio 2016

IVF procedure showing egg cell and sperm

Cyprus IVF Donor Mix-up May Affect at Least 30 Children

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Supreme Court allows Imran Khan meeting
Pakistan

Supreme Court Orders Imran Khan Shifted to Shifa Hospital

2 Min Read
Aerial view of Highmark Stadium Buffalo Bills
Sports

Highmark Stadium Complaints Come From Under 1%, Bills Say

2 Min Read
Mysterious red spot in James Webb Space Telescope images.
Tech

Black Hole Star Candidate Spotted by Webb Telescope

2 Min Read
Top NewsWorld

BBC Trump Subpoenas Seek Testimony From Three Family Members

FLORIDA: BBC Trump subpoenas could compel Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner to give…

August 18, 2026
World

Trump Oman Threat Escalates as US-Iran Ceasefire Expires

WASHINGTON: Trump's Oman threat escalated Gulf tensions Monday as President Donald Trump said the United States…

August 17, 2026
World

Hurricane Lala Hawaii Floods Kill One, Sweep Away Homes

HAWAII, United States: Hurricane Lala Hawaii flooding killed one person and swept away homes on the…

August 17, 2026
Pakistan

MG ZS Pakistan Launch Sets Prices From Rs6.599 Million

LAHORE, Punjab: The MG ZS Pakistan launch introduced one petrol and two self-charging hybrid variants priced…

August 13, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?