Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    Shakira 2026 World Cup anthem
    Videos

    Shakira 2026 World Cup Anthem “Dai Dai” Featuring Burna Boy Unveiled

    May 8, 2026 2 Min Read
    Zayn Malik
    Videos

    Zayn Malik Releases Die For Me Music Video Ahead of New Album

    February 6, 2026 3 Min Read
    Masters of the Universe teaser
    Videos

    Masters of the Universe Teaser Reveals Nicholas Galitzine as He-Man

    January 22, 2026 3 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: 77 dead as Syria enclave pounded ahead of expected ground assault
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
PhotoNews Pakistan > Top News > 77 dead as Syria enclave pounded ahead of expected ground assault
Top NewsWorld

77 dead as Syria enclave pounded ahead of expected ground assault

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published February 20, 2018 6 Min Read
Share
SHARE

Heavy Syrian bombardment killed at least 77 civilians in rebel-held Eastern Ghouta on Monday, a monitor said, as regime forces appeared to prepare for an imminent ground assault.

The escalation came as pro-government forces were also expected to enter the northern Kurdish-controlled enclave of Afrin, to take a stand against a month-old Turkish assault there.

Held by rebels since 2012, Eastern Ghouta is the last opposition pocket around Damascus and President Bashar al-Assad has dispatched reinforcements there in an apparent concerted effort to retake it.

As the United Nations decried the “senseless human suffering”, a barrage of air strikes, rocket fire and artillery slammed into several towns across Eastern Ghouta on Monday.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said at least 20 children were among 77 civilians killed in the assault, while around 300 other people were wounded.

“The regime is bombing Eastern Ghouta to pave the way for a ground offensive,” said Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman.

The main opposition National Coalition, which is based in Turkey, denounced the “war of extermination” in Eastern Ghouta as well as the “international silence”.

In a statement, it also accused regime ally Russia of seeking to “bury the political process” for a solution to the conflict.

Residents of Hammuriyeh could be seen rushing indoors in panic as soon as they heard the sound of jets.

Alaa al-Din, a 23-year-old Syrian in Hammuriyeh, said civilians were afraid of a potential government offensive.

“Ghouta´s fate is unknown. We´ve got nothing but God´s mercy and hiding out in our basements,” he told AFP. “There´s no alternative.”

Wailing children

Shelling also hit the town of Douma, where an AFP correspondent saw five toddlers brought to a hospital, covered in dust and wailing uncontrollably.

The hospital was full of distraught civilians: one father slapped his forehead after finding his two dead children, another erupted into tears as he discovered the body of his newborn on a purple sheet next to a pool of blood.

Eastern Ghouta is held by two main factions, while militants control small pockets including one directly adjacent to the capital.

The Observatory and Syrian daily newspaper Al-Watan had said negotiations were under way for the evacuation of militants from Eastern Ghouta.

But escalating military pressure indicate that the regime would opt for a ground assault instead of talks, the monitor said.

Government troops carried out a relentless five-day bombing campaign earlier this month that killed around 250 civilians in the enclave and wounded hundreds.

Around the same time, the monitor said, the regime began dispatching military reinforcements to Eastern Ghouta.

After days of relative calm, the government sent more than 260 rockets crashing into Eastern Ghouta on Sunday.

The regime is keen to regain control of Eastern Ghouta to halt the deadly salvo of rockets and mortars that rebels fire on Damascus.

The United Nations said Monday that the targeting of civilians in Eastern Ghouta “must stop now”.

“It´s imperative to end this senseless human suffering,” Panos Moumtzis, the UN´s Regional Humanitarian Coordinator for the Syria Crisis said in a statement.

About half a dozen rockets hit the capital Sunday night, AFP correspondents said. State news agency SANA reported that one person was killed.

More than 20 civilians have been killed by rebel fire this month alone in regime-held Damascus.

Regime to enter Afrin?

All was quiet in the capital on Monday but since rumours of an imminent assault on Eastern Ghouta started spreading, people living close to the rebel enclave started packing their bags.

Jawad al-Obros, 30, said he was looking to move to a hotel in the western sector of the city to escape his home in an east Damascus neighbourhood that has been regularly hit by rockets from Ghouta.

“We´re tired of this situation. It seems that there´s no solution but a full-blown military one,” he told AFP.

More than 340,000 people have been killed since Syria´s conflict erupted in 2011 with protests against Assad´s government.

It has since evolved into a war that has carved up the country into rival zones of influence among the regime, rebels, militants and Kurdish forces.

The Kurdish People´s Protection Units (YPG) control the northwestern region of Afrin, target of a month-old assault by the Turkish army and allied Syrian rebels.

Turkey sees the YPG as a “terror” group linked to the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), outlawed by Ankara, and wants to clear it from its southern border.

The YPG has controlled Afrin since 2012, when Syrian troops withdrew from it and other Kurdish-majority areas.

Syrian state media said Monday that pro-regime forces were preparing to enter the area to “join the resistance against the Turkish aggression”. (AFP)

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

Neymar gestures toward a camera after being taken off in the 68th minute of a football match.

Neymar World Cup Squad Hopes Rise After Fitness Claim

A damaged building and piles of debris are seen at night after a 5.2-magnitude earthquake hit Liuzhou’s Liunan district in Guangxi, China.

China Earthquake Kills 2, Collapses 13 Buildings

A military jet descends in the sky while several parachutes deploy after an air show collision in Mountain Home, Idaho.

Military Jets Collision at Idaho Air Show Injures None

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Oil barrels, stacks of U.S. dollars, an oil pump and a tanker ship in a graphic about crude oil prices.
Business

Oil Prices Rise as Gulf Attacks Hit Markets

2 Min Read
A busy Karachi market shows vendors and shoppers standing beside colorful bowls of spices, sacks of grains, dried fruits and packaged goods.
Sindh

Sindh Market Timings Exemption Announced For Businesses

2 Min Read
US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping
Top NewsWorld

Trump China Visit Opens With Trade, Taiwan Talks Ahead

2 Min Read
Offbeat

Prediction Market Trades Face Insider Scrutiny

Kalshi has probed and flagged more than 400 suspicious prediction market trades this year, while Polymarket…

May 16, 2026
Tech

Nanoscale Drug Factory Built by KAUST Scientists

KAUST scientists have built a nanoscale drug factory that carries six proteins into living cells to…

May 16, 2026
Sports

World Cup Visa Bonds Waived For Five Nations’ Fans

The United States will waive World Cup visa bonds for eligible FIFA World Cup 2026 ticket-holders…

May 14, 2026
Pakistan

Pakistan IMF Disbursement Brings $1.32 Billion To SBP

Pakistan's IMF disbursement reached about $1.32 billion after the International Monetary Fund released funds under the…

May 13, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?