Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    GA-20 and Grammy-winning musician Charlie Musselwhite perform “I Can’t Hold Out” during CBS Saturday Morning’s Saturday Sessions on August 1.
    Videos

    GA-20 and Charlie Musselwhite Perform ‘I Can’t Hold Out’

    August 2, 2026 1 Min Read
    Ricky Gervais Alley Cats official Netflix trailer
    Videos

    Ricky Gervais ‘Alley Cats’ Trailer Sets August 7 Debut

    July 23, 2026 2 Min Read
    Sam Fender Olivia Dean break UK chart record with Rein Me In after 16 weeks at No. 1.
    Videos

    Sam Fender, Olivia Dean Break 30-Year UK Chart Record

    July 12, 2026 2 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: ISIL terror outrage: More than190 people die horrific bomb attacks in Syria
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
IS blasts
PhotoNews Pakistan > World > ISIL terror outrage: More than190 people die horrific bomb attacks in Syria
World

ISIL terror outrage: More than190 people die horrific bomb attacks in Syria

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published February 22, 2016 6 Min Read
Share
SHARE

A string of massive suicide bombings near a prominent Shia shrine outside Syria’s capital and in Homs claimed by the militant Islamic State (IS) group killed more than 150 people earlier yesterday, even as Washington and Moscow worked together to secure an elusive ceasefire.

Near Damascus, a car bombing followed by two consecutive suicide attacks ripped through the area of the shrine of Hazrat Zainab (RA) and killed 96 people according to The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Syria’s official news agency SANA, quoting a police source, said 178 people, including children, were among the wounded.

An AFP reporter said the blasts struck about 400 metres from the revered shrine supposedly containing the grave of a granddaughter of the Prophet Muhammed (Peace be upon him).

A January attack in the same area ─ also claimed by IS ─ killed 70 people.

The Observatory also reported that two car bombs killed at least 59 people and wounded dozens in the pro-regime district of Al-Zahraa in the central city of Homs.

IS said online that two suicide bombers struck in Sayyida Zeinab and two others drove explosive-packed cars into crowds in Homs.

United Nations special envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura “strongly condemns” the attacks, his spokesperson said in a statement.

State television footage from Homs showed emergency workers carrying a charred body on a stretcher past devastated shops and mangled cars and minibuses.

Al-Zahraa has been regularly targeted.

United States (US) Secretary of State John Kerry said a provisional deal had been reached on the terms of a truce in Syria’s brutal five-year conflict, only for the bloodshed to intensify on the ground.

World powers, which have been pushing for a halt in Syria’s nearly five-year war, had hoped to see a truce take effect on Friday but have struggled to agree on the terms.

On Sunday, Kerry spoke with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov at least three times to try to nail down a truce.

“We have reached a provisional agreement, in principle, on the terms of the cessation of hostilities that could begin in the coming days,” Kerry said in Amman after one round of talks.

The Russian foreign ministry later said Lavrov and Kerry held two more telephone conversations and finalised the ceasefire terms to be submitted to their respective presidents.

World powers proposed the truce just over a week ago as part of a plan that also included expanded humanitarian access, in a bid to pave the way for peace talks to resume.

The talks, which collapsed earlier this month in Geneva, had been scheduled to resume on February 25, but the UN’s Syria envoy has already acknowledged that date is no longer realistic.

Key opposition umbrella group the High Negotiations Committee said at the weekend it would agree a temporary truce only if regime backers halted fire.

HNC chief Riad Hijab said any ceasefire must be reached “with international mediation and with guarantees obliging Russia, Iran and their sectarian militias and mercenaries to stop fighting”.

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, meanwhile, told Spain’s El Pais newspaper he was “ready” for a ceasefire, but that it should not be exploited by “terrorists”.

Turkey defends shelling Kurds

Moscow is a key architect of the proposed ceasefire, but has shown little sign so far that it plans to rein in the air campaign it began in September in support of Assad’s government.

Regime forces backed by Russian strikes were advancing on Sunday east of Aleppo city against IS, consolidating their control over a stretch of highway from the city to the Kweyris military base.

The Observatory said at least 50 IS fighters had been killed in clashes and Russian strikes since Saturday morning.

Tensions have been rising between Moscow and opposition-backer Ankara, alarmed by both the regime’s Russian-backed advances and a major operation by Kurdish-led forces in Aleppo province.

The Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) and their Arab partners have seized key territory from rebel forces in Aleppo province, prompting Turkey to shell their positions.

Ankara considers the YPG to be an affiliate of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party, which has waged a decades-long insurgency against Turkey.

It fears the Kurdish advances are intended to link areas in north and northeast Syria to create a contiguous semi-autonomous Kurdish zone along the Syrian-Turkish border.

On Sunday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan defended his country’s fight against the YPG as “legitimate defence” after international calls for Ankara to halt its military action in Syria.

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

US President Donald Trump silhouette beside NATO emblem

NATO Iran Threat Warning Follows Reported Europe Strike Plans

Iranian soldier saluting beside the Iran flag during a missile launch.

Iran Offensive Strategy Raises Risk of Wider US Conflict

Netanyahu Faces Trump Pressure As Israel-Iran Fighting Raises Election Risks

Netanyahu Backs US Sanctions On ICC, Calls Court ‘Kangaroo’

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

US President Donald Trump and Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif.
Business

Pakistan Reportedly Seeks $10B US Treasury Liquidity Facility

2 Min Read
French astronaut Sophie Adenot wearing a spacesuit
Tech

Sophie Adenot Spacewalk Makes French History Aboard ISS

1 Min Read
Women’s Asia Cup cricket tournament logo
Sports

Pakistan Women Squads Named for Asia Cup, Asian Games

4 Min Read
World

Karoline Leavitt to Leave White House Press Secretary Role

WASHINGTON, United States: White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt will leave her position at the end…

August 13, 2026
Top NewsWorld

Strait of Hormuz Control: Iran Rejects Trump’s Claim

TEHRAN, Iran: Iran rejected US President Donald Trump’s claim of total Strait of Hormuz control on…

August 13, 2026
World

Golan Heights Quote Attributed to Iran Has No Official Record

Social media users have attributed a viral quote from the Golan Heights to Iranian Foreign Minister…

August 15, 2026
Pakistan

Pakistan-UK Migrant Returns at Risk Over Shabir Ahmed Row

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan-UK migrant returns could be disrupted if Britain forces Islamabad to accept convicted offender Shabir…

August 18, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?