Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    Dua Lipa Live From Mexico on YouTube
    Videos

    Dua Lipa Live From Mexico Film Arrives on YouTube

    May 22, 2026 1 Min Read
    Shakira 2026 World Cup anthem
    Videos

    Shakira 2026 World Cup Anthem “Dai Dai” Featuring Burna Boy Unveiled

    May 8, 2026 2 Min Read
    Zayn Malik
    Videos

    Zayn Malik Releases Die For Me Music Video Ahead of New Album

    February 6, 2026 3 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Widow, son identify ‘hitman’ in Shahid Hamid murder case
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
Shahid Hamid
PhotoNews Pakistan > Top News > Widow, son identify ‘hitman’ in Shahid Hamid murder case
Top News

Widow, son identify ‘hitman’ in Shahid Hamid murder case

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published May 15, 2016 5 Min Read
Share
SHARE

Karachi: Nineteen years after the killing of managing director of the then Karachi Electric Supply Corporation Shahid Hamid, his widow and son picked out a suspect as one of the four hitmen during an identification parade held before a judicial magistrate on Saturday.

The suspect — Muhammad Minhaj Qazi alias Asad — along with his accomplices has been booked in a case pertaining to the July 5, 1997 killing of the then KESC MD, his driver and a guard in the Defence Housing Authority.

An antiterrorism court had already sentenced Muttahida Qaumi Movement worker Saulat Ali Khan, better known as Saulat Mirza, to death in 1999 in this case and he was executed in Machh jail in Balochistan on May 12, 2015.

On Saturday, police brought the suspect to the city courts amid strict security. After completing legal formalities, Judicial Magistrate (south) Anees Rehman Buriro conducted the identification parade.

Former bureaucrat Shahnaz Hamid, the widow, and her police officer son, Omar Shahid Hamid, were the eyewitnesses and they picked out the suspect during the parade.

While assigning the suspect’s role in the commissioning of the alleged offence, both witnesses deposed that he was one of the four hitmen who carried out the killing.

In their statements recorded under Section 164 of the criminal procedure code, the two witnesses said that on July 5, 1997 they heard gunshots shortly after the elder Hamid left his house for office. The moment they came out, they saw four men firing at the car with Kalashnikov assault rifles, they added.

The mother and son said in their statements that they had also identified Saulat Mirza, who had been executed on May 12, 2015, as one of the shooters.

The eyewitnesses recalled that Mr Hamid was working against corruption and reorganising the power utility, but some people were against his efforts.

They deposed that at that time the Muttahida Qaumi Movement had a dominant role in the KESC. Representatives of the union along with some MQM ministers had teamed up against the slain MD.

They said MQM’s Dr Farooq Sattar, Waseem Akhtar, Nasreen Jalil and her husband had extended threats to Mr Hamid. Dr Sattar, Mr Akhtar and Shoaib Bukhari had also insulted him during a meeting at Chief Minister House, they added.

Ms Hamid claimed that they wanted to remove her husband from the post as they considered him a risk. Then he was assassinated, she added.

During the identification parade, suspect Qazi informed the magistrate that he had been subjected to torture.

He said that he was not even allowed to change his clothes since his detention in February.

He also contested the identification parade and said that his photographs were being showed on private TV channels almost on a daily basis and anyone could easily identify him. However, the magistrate interrupted him and told him that he was merely recording the witnesses’ statements and he [the suspect] could raise this issue before the trial court.

On Feb 3, 2016, Rangers picked up Minhaj Qazi and placed him under 90-day preventive detention for an inquiry over his alleged involvement in terrorism cases. Later, he was handed over to police and the investigation officer formally arrested him in the Shahid Hamid murder case and obtained his remand from an ATC.

According to the prosecution, the then SHO of Gulbahar police station, Mohammad Aslam Khan better known as Chaudhry Aslam, arrested Saulat Mirza in December 1998 at Karachi airport. During investigation, Mirza confessed to having killed the former KESC chief and named his accomplices.

The prosecution alleged that the offence was carried out to avenge the removal of MQM supporters from the KESC by the then MD.

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

DR Congo player Cedric Bakambu celebrates with the national flag after qualifying for the FIFA World Cup.

DR Congo World Cup Plans Unchanged After US Warning

Composite image of US President Donald Trump and Iran’s Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei

US Iran Tensions Rise as Trump Teases Move

An edited composite image features U.S. President Donald Trump, Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif in the middle, and Iran’s new Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamanei against a fiery background and a Pakistani flag.

Iran Pakistan Talks Bring Warning on US War

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Thomas Massie speaks at a podium in Hebron, Kentucky, after losing his primary race to Ed Gallrein.
World

Thomas Massie Primary Loss Ends Kentucky Reelection Bid

2 Min Read
Stephen Colbert stands in a suit and red tie in a Late Show promotional image with New York City streets behind him.
Entertainment

Stephen Colbert Late Show Cancelled By CBS

2 Min Read
A digital graphic shows U.S. and Chinese flags above a circuit board with an AI chip in the center.
Tech

US China AI Bill Seeks $500M Allies Fund

2 Min Read
Business

UK EU Goods Market Plan Faces Brussels Scepticism

UK-EU goods market plans have not moved forward after British officials suggested a single goods market…

May 23, 2026
Business

Airbus Spending Cuts Target 10% Of Non-Industrial Costs

Airbus SE ordered a 10% cut in most non-industrial spending as supply-chain problems and global uncertainty…

May 20, 2026
World

State Department RIFs Leave 100+ Ambassadorships Vacant

Washington: The Trump administration finalised Reductions in Force (RIFs) affecting roughly 250 Foreign Service officers and over 1,000…

May 17, 2026
Top NewsWorld

Trump Crypto Venture Shares Networks With Iran Exchange

New York: Trump's crypto venture, World Liberty Financial, drew scrutiny after Reuters found that Iran’s Nobitex…

May 18, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?