Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    Shakira 2026 World Cup anthem
    Videos

    Shakira 2026 World Cup Anthem “Dai Dai” Featuring Burna Boy Unveiled

    May 8, 2026 2 Min Read
    Zayn Malik
    Videos

    Zayn Malik Releases Die For Me Music Video Ahead of New Album

    February 6, 2026 3 Min Read
    Masters of the Universe teaser
    Videos

    Masters of the Universe Teaser Reveals Nicholas Galitzine as He-Man

    January 22, 2026 3 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Survivors commemorate 73rd anniversary of Pearl Harbor attack in Honolulu
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
PhotoNews Pakistan > World > Survivors commemorate 73rd anniversary of Pearl Harbor attack in Honolulu
World

Survivors commemorate 73rd anniversary of Pearl Harbor attack in Honolulu

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published December 8, 2014 2 Min Read
Share
SHARE

For the fifth year in a row, Lou Conter made the trip to Honolulu from his Alta Sierra, California, home to remember his USS Arizona shipmates who died

in the surprise air attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941.

Before the 73rd commemoration ceremony started on the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center´s main lawn on Sunday morning, Conter said that he and other survivors started gathering in Honolulu in 1991, and he now plans to come every year that he´s able.

It´s not about him, he noted. “It´s to pay respects to the 2,400 who died that day, 1,177 on the Arizona,” the 93-year-old Conter said.

Seated next to him in the front row, fellow Pearl Harbor survivor John Mathrusse agreed. The 91-year-old had been near the Pacific Fleet on Ford Island when Japanese planes flew overhead and started dropping bombs that would claim 2,403 lives and mark the United States´ entry in World War Two.

As bombs rained down, Mathrusse said he was in survival mode. “I had a rifle, which I used,” he said, describing how he fired away at the planes. “It didn´t do any good but it sure made me feel better,” he added.

Conter and Mathrusse were among more than 50 World War Two veterans who attended the ceremony, which drew about 2,500 guests – among them four of the nine remaining USS Arizona survivors who also attended the official gathering of the USS Arizona Reunion Association.

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

Umar, also known as Jan Mir and Tor Saqib, is shown wearing a dark traditional head covering outdoors.

North Waziristan IBO Kills Key Commander, Four Terrorists in Spinwam

Benjamin Netanyahu and US President Donald Trump

Trump Netanyahu Iran Split Grows Over Strike Pause

An SOS sign is marked on charred land after a wildfire on Santa Rosa Island in California.

Santa Rosa Island Fire Burns Rare Wildlife Habitat

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Bill Gates and Melinda French Gates appear below the text “Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation” on a pink background.
Business

Gates Foundation Sells Remaining Microsoft Shares, Sale Raises $3.2 Billion

2 Min Read
US Congressman Jack Bergman smiles in a formal portrait with an American flag in the background.
Pakistan

Pakistan US-Iran Talks Role Praised by US Lawmaker

1 Min Read
Anmol Pinky walks through a courthouse hallway wearing sunglasses and a black face mask, while a police officer follows behind her.
Sindh

Anmol Pinky Network Probe Finds 881 Contacts

2 Min Read
Punjab

Lahore Market Timings Extended To 10pm Until June 1

Lahore, Punjab, markets and businesses can remain open until 10 pm after the Punjab government eased…

May 15, 2026
Tech

Connected Car Data Raises Driver Privacy Concerns

Connected car data now includes location, driving habits, seatbelt use and in-car behaviour, raising privacy concerns…

May 14, 2026
Business

Airbus Spending Cuts Target 10% Of Non-Industrial Costs

Airbus SE ordered a 10% cut in most non-industrial spending as supply-chain problems and global uncertainty…

May 20, 2026
Entertainment

Shakira World Cup Interview Draws Online Attention

Singer Shakira’s World Cup interview with Mexican presenter Clovis Nienow drew online attention after clips and…

May 17, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?