Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    Hunger Games Sunrise on the Reaping trailer
    EntertainmentVideos

    Hunger Games Prequel Trailer Sparks Fan Frenzy Over 10-Second Silent Cliffhanger

    November 21, 2025 3 Min Read
    Billie Eilish Elon Musk
    EntertainmentVideos

    Billie Eilish Criticizes Elon Musk, Calls Billionaire Wealth “Pathetic”

    November 14, 2025 3 Min Read
    Gen V Season 2 trailer
    Videos

    Gen V Season 2 Trailer Cast, Plot, Premiere Details

    July 26, 2025 3 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Pokemon booted out of French World War I memorial
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
Pokeman World War I
PhotoNews Pakistan > Tech > Pokemon booted out of French World War I memorial
Tech

Pokemon booted out of French World War I memorial

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published August 10, 2016 2 Min Read
Share
SHARE

A French World War I memorial has been removed from Pokemon Go following complaints about players gathering to do battle at a site containing the remains of 130,000 soldiers, the site’s management said.

The Douaumont ossuary in northeast France contains the remains of some of the more than 300,000 French and German soldiers who died in the Battle of Verdun, one of the bloodiest of the 1914-18 conflict.

In 1984, then French president Francois Mitterrand visited the site with West German chancellor Helmut Kohl, with the pair joining hands to symbolise their countries’ post-war reconciliation.

Both the underground ossuary and the plaque commemorating the Mitterrand-Kohl handshake featured in the Pokemon Go smartphone app until last weekend when the game’s creator Niantic removed them at the site’s request, Douaumount spokeswoman Elodie Farcage said.

The ossuary had been the location of a Pokemon “gym”, where rival teams do battle, while the plaque was a Pokestop, where players could collect virtual items.

The Douaumont Ossuary in eastern France was removed from Pokemon Go.─AFP

A spokeswoman for the nearby Verdun Memorial said it too was listed as a Pokemon gym. “But we have no Internet network here so the players cannot use it,” Emeline Villeseche said.

The nearby village of Fleury-devant-Douaumont, which was destroyed during the war, also features in the app.

The mayor of the area told AFP he would ask Niantic to remove it.

The French battlefields are not the first memorials to send players of the global sensation packing.

Washington’s Holocaust Museum and Arlington National Cemetery have also asked visitors to show respect for the dead by refraining from playing the game there. (AFP)

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

HBL Saving Made Easy
HBL Saving Made Easy

Recent Posts

Taylor Swift Ryan Reynolds confrontation

Court Filings Reveal Taylor Swift Witnessed Ryan Reynolds and Justin Baldoni Confrontation

Tesla Full Self-Driving Demo Rides in Europe

Tesla Launches Free Supervised Full Self-Driving Demo Rides in Europe

WhatsApp AI ban

Meta to Ban Third-Party AI Chatbots Like ChatGPT from WhatsApp in 2026

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Asim Munir Field Marshal Chief of Defence Forces
Pakistan

Field Marshal Asim Munir Formally Appointed Chief of Defence Forces

2 Min Read
Ogra Gas Price Hike
Pakistan

OGRA Approves Major Gas Price Hike for Consumers Across Pakistan

2 Min Read
Islamabad airport
Pakistan

Self-Boarding & Digital Immigration Launch at Pakistan Airports

2 Min Read
Entertainment

Eminem’s ‘Shady’ Trademark Clash With Real Housewives Stars Intensifies

Rapper Eminem faces an intensifying legal battle with two reality television stars over trademark rights and…

November 27, 2025
Top NewsWorld

Chinese Workers Killed in Tajikistan Border Attack Launched from Afghanistan

Three Chinese workers died in a cross-border attack in Tajikistan near the Afghan frontier. Tajik authorities…

November 28, 2025
Sports

Paul Pogba Returns in Monaco Debut After Doping Ban

French midfielder Paul Pogba returned to professional football on Saturday. The former Manchester United and Juventus…

November 23, 2025
Top NewsWorld

India Examines Bangladesh’s Request to Extradite Former PM Hasina

The Indian government is formally reviewing an official request from Bangladesh for the extradition of its…

November 27, 2025
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Categories

  • World
  • Pakistan
  • Punjab
  • Sindh
  • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
  • Balochistan
  • Azad Jammu Kashmir

 

  • Top News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Videos
  • Tech
  • Offbeat
  • Blog

© 2024 Phototnews
All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?