Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    Hunger Games Sunrise on the Reaping trailer
    EntertainmentVideos

    Hunger Games Prequel Trailer Sparks Fan Frenzy Over 10-Second Silent Cliffhanger

    November 21, 2025 3 Min Read
    Billie Eilish Elon Musk
    EntertainmentVideos

    Billie Eilish Criticizes Elon Musk, Calls Billionaire Wealth “Pathetic”

    November 14, 2025 3 Min Read
    Gen V Season 2 trailer
    Videos

    Gen V Season 2 Trailer Cast, Plot, Premiere Details

    July 26, 2025 3 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Pathankot air base attack: Pakistan working on Indian ‘leads’
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
Pathankot attack
PhotoNews Pakistan > Pakistan > Pathankot air base attack: Pakistan working on Indian ‘leads’
Pakistan

Pathankot air base attack: Pakistan working on Indian ‘leads’

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published January 5, 2016 6 Min Read
Share
SHARE

New Delhi / Islamabad: Pakistan is working on the ‘leads’ provided by the Indian government about the Pathankot air base attack in a significant move that may help keep the fragile thaw in frosty relations between the two neighbours intact.

“In line with Pakistan’s commitment to effectively counter and eradicate terrorism, the government is in touch with the Indian government and is working on the leads provided by it,” said a statement issued by the Foreign Office on Monday.

Although the Foreign Office would not give details, the statement suggested the Indian air base attack might have some Pakistan link and that Islamabad and New Delhi are in contact with each other on the issue.

The statement came hours after a Kashmiri separatists’ alliance, the United Jihad Council, claimed responsibility for the Pathankot attack, although the Indian media insists the attackers were members of the banned Jaish-e-Muhammad militant group.

Officially, India has not yet pointed finger at Pakistan. The National Security Guard (NSG), which leading the operation at the base, merely said it was a Fidayeen attack – which means the attackers knew they were going to their death. “These terrorists had come well prepared and were heavily armed” the NSG said in a short briefing.

However, the Indian media alleged the attackers came from Multan, in Pakistani Punjab. Quoting security sources the Indian media said the intelligence agencies had intercepted communication between the attackers and their handlers in Pakistan. Moreover, the level of training and ammunition used suggested ‘institutionalised training’.

The Foreign Office statement – second in three days — said the challenge of terrorism called for strengthening ‘our resolve to a cooperative approach.’ “Living in the same region and with a common history, the two countries should remain committed to a sustained dialogue process,” said Foreign Office spokesperson Qazi Khalilluah.

It further said the unfortunate terrorist incident in Pathankot had been categorically condemned by Pakistan. “We understand the pain of many families who have lost their dear ones in this tragedy, as Pakistan itself is a major victim of terrorism. We have extended our deepest condolences to the government and people of India.”

The Foreign Office’s reconciliatory statement is aimed at sending a clear message to India that Pakistan is ready to go the extra mile in order to ensure that the peace process does not get derailed by the Pathankot incident.

Foreign secretaries talks in doldrums

However, scheduled talks between the foreign secretaries of India and Pakistan appear to be in jeopardy amid reports that the national security advisers (NSAs) of the two countries might meet first to discuss the fallout of the Pathankot assault.

After the operation is over, New Delhi will decide whether or not to go ahead with the foreign secretary-level talks scheduled for January 15, sources in the Indian officialdom told The Express Tribune  as Indian security forces struggled to neutralise two gunmen still holed up in the base.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi went into a huddle with top officials, including National Security Adviser Ajit Doval and Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar, to discuss the attack. Modi was briefed by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar. Doval, who was to leave for Beijing, postponed his trip. All the indications are that the foreign secretary-level talks will be rescheduled, and the NSAs will meet first to discuss Pathankot.

Diplomatic sources in Islamabad did not rule out rescheduling of the meeting between the foreign secretaries who were supposed to finalise a roadmap for a series of meetings between the two countries to discuss a range of issues, including Kashmir, terrorism, peace and security as well as Siachen and Sir Creek.

These sources also confirmed India is now seeking NSAs’ meeting before the foreign secretary-level talks. A final decision, however, will be taken once Indian authorities complete investigation into the Pathankot attack.

Islamabad has said it is ready to partner with India in dealing with the menace of terrorism. “We are ready to cooperate with Indian authorities to deal with this common challenge,” said a senior government official while requesting anonymity. The official hoped the process of engagement would not be disrupted due to the Pathankot episode.

Another official claimed that both Prime Ministers Nawaz Sharif and Narendra Modi had agreed not to allow the peace process be derailed by such subversive activities.

“There will be hiccups…. there will be obstacles on the way to peace and the leadership of both the countries understands this,” the official added. “What we need to do is to continue talking to each other,” the official said.

Relations between the two countries recently took a dramatic turnaround following a flurry of engagements, including a surprise visit by the Indian premier to Lahore on December 25.

Read : India mulls options on Pakistan talks after air base attack: source

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

HBL Saving Made Easy
HBL Saving Made Easy

Recent Posts

Grand Theft Auto US setting

Rockstar Co-Founder Reveals Human Cost Behind GTA 6 Development

Afghani Arrested in Texas for bomb threat

Afghan Evacuee Arrested in Texas for Terror Threat

Tarantino Kill Bill Lost Chapter in Fortnite

 Tarantino and Thurman Reunite for ‘Kill Bill: The Lost Chapter’ in Fortnite

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Google Pixel 10 AI
Tech

Pixel 10 Phones Can Now Share Files Directly with iPhones

2 Min Read
Trump Muslim Brotherhood terrorist designation
Top NewsWorld

Trump Designates Muslim Brotherhood Chapters as Terrorist Groups

2 Min Read
Dana White Paul-Joshua Fight
Sports

Dana White Denies Knowledge of Paul-Joshua Fight

3 Min Read
Pakistan

PTI’s Omar Ayub Declared Proclaimed Offender by Islamabad Court

An anti-terrorism court in Islamabad has declared Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leader Omar Ayub a "proclaimed offender."…

November 26, 2025
Top NewsWorld

National Guard Members Shot Near White House

Two National Guard members sustained gunshot wounds in a busy area near the White House on…

November 27, 2025
Sports

Faf du Plessis Joins PSL After Announcing IPL Retirement

Former South African cricket captain Faf du Plessis has confirmed his participation in the upcoming Pakistan…

November 29, 2025
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa

Gas Pipeline Explosion in Peshawar Disrupts Supply Across Khyber Pakhtunkhwa

A powerful explosion has severely damaged a major natural gas pipeline in Peshawar. The blast targeted…

November 27, 2025
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Categories

  • World
  • Pakistan
  • Punjab
  • Sindh
  • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
  • Balochistan
  • Azad Jammu Kashmir

 

  • Top News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Videos
  • Tech
  • Offbeat
  • Blog

© 2024 Phototnews
All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?