The New Mexico Zorro Ranch investigation is now underway after state lawmakers approved a bipartisan truth commission to examine allegations linked to Jeffrey Epstein. The ranch, located south of Santa Fe, has long been mentioned in civil lawsuits accusing Epstein of trafficking and abusing girls and women.
Lawmakers created a four-member committee with subpoena power. The panel will gather testimony from survivors, local residents, and others who may have knowledge of activities at the 7,600-acre property. In addition, members aim to determine whether any officials or guests were aware of the alleged misconduct.
Epstein died in a New York jail in 2019 while facing federal sex trafficking charges. However, authorities never charged him in New Mexico in connection with the ranch. Several civil suits, though, claim abuse occurred at the property over many years.
Why the New Mexico Zorro Ranch Investigation Matters
Supporters say the New Mexico Zorro Ranch investigation fills gaps left by earlier federal probes. While previous investigations focused on Epstein’s New York residence and Caribbean island, critics argue that Zorro Ranch received less scrutiny.
Therefore, state lawmakers allocated $2.5 million for the inquiry. The commission begins work immediately and will release interim findings in July, followed by a final report by the end of the year. Lawmakers confirmed that testimony collected during hearings could support future prosecutions if authorities pursue them.
Read: Elon Musk Reid Hoffman Feud Escalates Over Epstein Files
State Representative Andrea Romero, who co-sponsored the legislation, said the goal is accountability and transparency. Meanwhile, victim advocates welcomed the move, noting that many survivors reported experiences tied to New Mexico.
New Mexico Land Commissioner Calls for Urgent Epstein Ranch Investigation
New Mexico's Stephanie Garcia Richard is pushing hard: "If state land was used for criminal activity, that is definitely something New Mexicans need to know."
She says Zorro Ranch was surrounded by public… https://t.co/CwtZhMnG5V pic.twitter.com/XBqoD0Gh46
— Mario Nawfal (@MarioNawfal) February 14, 2026
The investigation also follows the release of millions of Epstein-related documents. Those files revealed connections between Epstein and several political figures in the state. As a result, public pressure mounted for a formal state-level review.
Previously, former New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas opened a probe in 2019. Federal prosecutors later requested a pause to avoid overlapping investigations. The current Attorney General, Raul Torrez, has assigned a special agent to review any new allegations arising from the commission’s work.
Separately, a proposal to extend the statute of limitations for childhood sexual assault civil claims did not advance in the state legislature. Lawmakers cited concerns about financial risks to public institutions.