Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    Zayn Malik Drops Die For Me Music Video
    Videos

    Zayn Malik Releases Die For Me Music Video Ahead of New Album

    February 6, 2026 3 Min Read
    Masters of the Universe teaser
    Videos

    Masters of the Universe Teaser Reveals Nicholas Galitzine as He-Man

    January 22, 2026 3 Min Read
    Bridgerton Season 4 trailer
    EntertainmentVideos

    Bridgerton Season 4 Trailer Reveals Benedict’s Love Story

    December 26, 2025 2 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Girlfriend convicted in US texting suicide trial
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
US texting suicide trial
PhotoNews Pakistan > Offbeat > Girlfriend convicted in US texting suicide trial
OffbeatTop NewsWorld

Girlfriend convicted in US texting suicide trial

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published June 16, 2017 5 Min Read
Share
SHARE

A 20-year-old US woman was convicted of involuntary manslaughter Friday for ordering her teenage boyfriend to follow through on his long-planned suicide and for failing to save him from harm.

Michelle Carter broke down in tears and sobbed into a tissue during the 20-minute juvenile court hearing in Massachusetts, which is likely to break new ground in a state that has no law against encouraging someone to commit suicide.

Conrad Roy, 18, was found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning in his pickup truck in a parking lot in July 2014.

The trial heard that Carter and Roy exchanged hundreds of text messages, in which the young woman, who was 17 at the time, urged him to follow through on his plan to kill himself, to conceal it from his parents, and lie to his mother.

But Judge Lawrence Moniz said it was her instruction to Roy to get back into the vehicle – during a telephone call after he stepped out – and her failure to sound the alarm that was crucial to the conviction.

Failure to take reasonable steps to alleviate the risk to another “can result in a charge of manslaughter”, he noted in his decision.

“This court, having reviewed the evidence and applied the law thereto, now finds you guilty on the indictment charging you with the involuntary manslaughter of the person Conrad Roy,” Moniz told the packed court room.

Carter, who waived her right to a jury trial, faces up to 20 years in prison. She will remain on bail until sentencing on August 3 in Taunton, south of Boston.

In the closely-watched case, legal experts had questioned whether Carter’s actions were enough to secure a conviction for involuntary manslaughter.

Read: Girl persuaded teen boyfriend to kill himself so she could get sympathy as ‘grieving girlfriend’

The defence argued that Roy had been on a path to suicide “for years” and sought to minimise Carter’s role in her boyfriend’s life, saying the pair were in a “long-term texting relationship” and had met in person only a handful of times.

The judge agreed that Roy had been “struggling” and “took significant action” himself, such as extensive research, securing a generator, water pump, parking his vehicle in an unnoticeable area, and starting the pump.

‘No action’

“However, he breaks that chain of self-causation by exiting the vehicle, he takes himself out of the toxic environment,” Moniz said.

He did the same thing during previous attempts on his life, pausing to tell someone – first a parent and then a friend who got him help.

But it was different when he told Carter, in July 2014.

“Instructing Mr Roy to get back into the truck constitutes wanton and reckless conduct by Miss Carter, creating a situation where there is a high degree of likelihood that substantial harm would result to Mr Roy,” the judge said.

In subsequent text messages to friends, Carter admitted to hearing him coughing and the loud noise of the motor, the judge noted.

Prosecutors told the trial that the defendant stayed on the telephone listening to her boyfriend as he died in the truck.

“She called no one,” Moniz said, despite knowing where he was and having his family’s telephone numbers. “And finally, she did not issue a simple additional instruction: ‘get out of the truck’.”

The judge rejected a theory of involuntary intoxication raised by psychiatrist Peter Breggin, a defence witness who testified that Carter’s own medication would have hindered her state of mind.

Conrad Roy’s father, who has the same name as his son, welcomed the verdict and thanked the judge before bursting into sobs.

“This has been a very tough time for our family,” he told reporters.

“In reality, there are no winners here today,” prosecuting attorney Katie Rayburn said.

“Two families have been torn apart and will be affected by this for years to come. With that being said, we fervently hope that today’s guilty verdict will bring some measure of justice to the friends and family of Conrad Roy.” (AFP)

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

Zakat Nisab 2026 Pakistan

Zakat Nisab 2026 Pakistan Set at Rs503,529 for Bank Accounts

Australia T20 World Cup qualification

Australia T20 World Cup Qualification Hopes Hang by a Thread

Karachi Chemical Factory Fire SITE Area

Karachi Chemical Factory Fire in SITE Area Prompts Major Rescue Operation

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Women South Africa vs Pakistan T20I 2026
Sports

South Africa vs Pakistan Second T20I: Khaka and Wolvaardt Seal Series

3 Min Read
Fokker Crash Landing in Mogadishu
Offbeat

Fokker 50 Crash Landing Mogadishu: All 55 Onboard Safe

3 Min Read
SpaceX Pentagon drone
Tech

SpaceX Pentagon Drone Swarming Contest: Musk’s xAI Joins Secret AI Challenge

2 Min Read
Tech

Tony Wu & Jimmy Ba Leave xAI; Musk Explains Reorg

The recent departure of xAI co-founders Tony Wu and Jimmy Ba has drawn attention, following the exit…

February 12, 2026
Sports

Pakistan vs USA T20 World Cup Win: Farhan Leads 32-Run Victory

Pakistan's win against the USA in the T20 World Cup highlighted a strong collective performance as…

February 10, 2026
Pakistan

Imran Khan Legal Relief Speculation Grows Amid Political Uncertainty

Speculation around Imran Khan's legal relief has intensified following some relief from the apex court and…

February 14, 2026
Entertainment

Justin Bieber Hailey Bieber SKYLRK Launch: Couple Teams Up for Fashion Debut

The Justin Bieber Hailey Bieber SKYLRK launch marks a new chapter for the celebrity couple, who…

February 14, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Categories

  • World
  • Pakistan
  • Punjab
  • Sindh
  • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
  • Balochistan
  • Azad Jammu Kashmir

 

  • Top News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Videos
  • Tech
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

© 2026 Phototnews
All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?