Skip to content
Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    GA-20 and Grammy-winning musician Charlie Musselwhite perform “I Can’t Hold Out” during CBS Saturday Morning’s Saturday Sessions on August 1.
    Videos

    GA-20 and Charlie Musselwhite Perform ‘I Can’t Hold Out’

    August 2, 2026 1 Min Read
    Ricky Gervais Alley Cats official Netflix trailer
    Videos

    Ricky Gervais ‘Alley Cats’ Trailer Sets August 7 Debut

    July 23, 2026 2 Min Read
    Sam Fender Olivia Dean break UK chart record with Rein Me In after 16 weeks at No. 1.
    Videos

    Sam Fender, Olivia Dean Break 30-Year UK Chart Record

    July 12, 2026 2 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Air-sea search intensifies for missing EgyptAir plane
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
Egypt Air search
PhotoNews Pakistan > World > Air-sea search intensifies for missing EgyptAir plane
World

Air-sea search intensifies for missing EgyptAir plane

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published May 20, 2016 6 Min Read
Share
SHARE

Cairo: A massive search was under way for an EgyptAir plane that disappeared over the Mediterranean with 66 people on board, with suspicions swiftly focusing on a terrorist motive.

Egypt’s aviation minister said that while it was too soon to say why the Airbus A320 flying from Paris to Cairo had vanished from radar screens, a “terrorist” attack would be a more likely scenario than a technical failure.

The tragedy raised fears of a repeat of the bombing of a Russian passenger jet by the militant Islamic State (IS) group over Egypt last October that killed all 224 people on board.

The plane disappeared between the Greek islands and the Egyptian coast in the early hours of Thursday morning, without its crew sending a distress signal.

Greek Defence Minister Panos Kammenos said the aircraft had swerved sharply twice in Egyptian airspace before plunging 22,000 feet and disappearing from radar screens.

Both Egypt and Greece dispatched aircraft and naval vessels on a major search mission. They were expected to be joined by French teams, while the US sent a surveillance plane to help with the operation.

Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi demanded an “intensified search” for the aircraft after reports that wreckage from the plane had been found were retracted.

EgyptAir initially said on its Twitter account that the Egyptian authorities had recovered wreckage from the missing aircraft but the head of the Greek air safety authority told AFP that debris found close to the area where the jet went down did “not come from a plane”.

French President Francois Hollande said the plane had “crashed”, as authorities in both Paris and Cairo opened investigations.

Egypt’s Aviation Minister Sherif Fathy said he was unable to “deny the hypothesis of a terrorist attack or something technical”.

An Egyptian military search boat takes part in a search operation for the EgyptAir plane that disappeared in the Mediterranean Sea. -Reuters
An Egyptian military search boat takes part in a search operation for the EgyptAir plane that disappeared in the Mediterranean Sea. -Reuters

The airline said 15 French citizens were among the 26 foreign passengers on the plane, who also included a Briton and at least one Canadian.

Both France and Egypt have come under attack by IS jihadists in the past year, and Hollande promised a comprehensive probe into the cause of the crash.

IS has been waging a deadly insurgency against Egyptian security forces and last October claimed the bombing of the Russian airliner flying home holidaymakers from the Egyptian resort of Sharm El-Sheikh.

No distress call

In the United States, White House spokesman Josh Earnest said “it’s too early to definitively say what may have caused this disaster”.

The catastrophe also entered the US presidential election campaign, where national security is shaping up a prominent issue.

Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump said it appeared to be “yet another terrorist attack,” adding “When will we get tough, smart and vigilant?”

His likely Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton agreed that it “does appear that it was an act of terrorism” and “once again shines a very bright light on the threats that we face from organised terror groups.”

A Greek aviation source said the flight had disappeared from Greek radar at around 0029 GMT.

“It crashed around 130 nautical miles off the island of Karpathos,” the source told AFP, referring to an island northeast of Crete.

Greek civil aviation chief Constantinos Litzerakos said the pilot had mentioned no problem in the last communication before the plane disappeared, and it had not deviated from its course.

“The flight controllers contacted the pilot at a height of 37,000 feet (near Athens)… he did not mention a problem,” Litzerakos told Greece’s Antenna TV.

Neither the Greek coastguard nor the navy could confirm reports that a passing ship had seen “a ball of fire in the sky”.

The civil aviation chief said if there had been an explosion, any debris would have been scattered across a wide area.

EgyptAir’s Adel also said there had been “no distress call” before the plane vanished.

Two babies

The passengers also included two Iraqis and one citizen from each of Algeria, Belgium, Chad, Portugal, Saudi Arabia and Sudan, as well as 30 Egyptians, the airline said. They included a boy and two babies. Seven crew members and three security men were also on board.

EgyptAir said the plane had been manufactured in 2003. Airbus said it had clocked up 48,000 flight hours.

EgyptAir hit the headlines in March when a flight from the coastal city of Alexandria to Cairo was hijacked and forced to divert to Cyprus, where the hijacker, who was described as “unstable”, demanded to see his ex-wife.

Last October, foreign governments issued travel warnings for Egypt and demanded a review of security at its airports after IS downed the Russian airliner with what it said was a bomb concealed in a soda can that had been smuggled into the hold.

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Bank Alfalah Pehchan account

Recent Posts

Imran Khan deal 2025

Imran Khan Treatment Row Deepens as PTI Plans Court Action

Trixie Mattel poses at an amfAR event in Las Vegas

Trixie Mattel Explains TV Set Bathroom Code ‘10-1’

Pakistan Meteorological Department monsoon rainfall infographic showing clouds, rain, radar and a weather map of Pakistan.

Punjab KP Rain Alert Issued For Floods, Thunderstorms

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Hormuz transit routes must follow Iran-approved paths.
World

Iran Offensive Policy Signals Wider Hormuz Escalation Risk

2 Min Read
Iran nuclear inspections dispute emerges as Trump and Tehran offer conflicting accounts of peace-deal talks.
Top NewsWorld

Iran Nuclear Retaliation Warning Targets Any US Strike

2 Min Read
Editorial illustration featuring the Google logo, search interface, and AI-inspired digital graphics with circuit board elements.
Tech

Pakistan Child Online Safety: PTA, Google sign MoU

1 Min Read
Entertainment

Kanye West OK Video Puts Ye in Headless Operating-Room Scene

Rapper Kanye West’s “OK” video with Don Toliver has been released, featuring a horror-inspired operating-room concept…

August 19, 2026
World

Houthi Attacks Yemen: Missiles, Drones Hit Marib, Mocha

MARIB, Yemen: Fresh Houthi attacks on Yemen, authorities blamed on the group, struck Marib and Mocha, injuring…

August 16, 2026
Business

Shein Hong Kong IPO Targets Valuation Near $25 Billion

Shein's Hong Kong IPO plans value the fast-fashion retailer at about USD 25 billion to USD…

August 17, 2026
Sindh

Mir Raza Murder: Court Bars Partner From Leaving Karachi

KARACHI: A court barred Muhammad Ahmed Bhardey from leaving Karachi without permission on Saturday and ordered…

August 15, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Categories

    • World
    • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir

     

    • Top News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Videos
    • Tech
    • Offbeat
    • Blog
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

    © 2026 Phototnews
    All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Lost your password?