Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    Zayn Malik Drops Die For Me Music Video
    Videos

    Zayn Malik Releases Die For Me Music Video Ahead of New Album

    February 6, 2026 3 Min Read
    Masters of the Universe teaser
    Videos

    Masters of the Universe Teaser Reveals Nicholas Galitzine as He-Man

    January 22, 2026 3 Min Read
    Bridgerton Season 4 trailer
    EntertainmentVideos

    Bridgerton Season 4 Trailer Reveals Benedict’s Love Story

    December 26, 2025 2 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Misbah says ‘no disrespect’ in press-up routine
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
Misbah Pushup
PhotoNews Pakistan > Sports > Misbah says ‘no disrespect’ in press-up routine
Sports

Misbah says ‘no disrespect’ in press-up routine

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published July 21, 2016 5 Min Read
Share
SHARE

Pakistan captain Misbah-ul-Haq was adamant his unusual press-up celebrations at Lord’s were in no way aimed at England.

Misbah marked his maiden Test appearance at ‘the home of cricket’ with a first-innings century.

The 42-year-old, who in the process became the oldest player to score a Test century for 82 years, marked his hundred by performing several press-ups.

It was a gesture repeated by the whole Pakistan team in front of the Lord’s Pavilion after they wrapped up a 75-run win, with more than a day to spare, to go 1-0 up in the four-match series.

The press-up routine has become the squad’s way of thanking army staff who put them through a pre-tour boot camp.

“No disrespect for opposition – [England] are a fine team and we know their strengths,” Misbah told reporters at Old Trafford on Thursday, a day out from the start of the second Test at the Manchester ground.

“The celebrations were nothing to do with England, only a gesture for those we worked with.”

Meanwhile the skipper confirmed key leg-spinner Yasir Shah would be fit to play in the second Test.

Shah, who in the series opener took a match-winning 10 for 141 – the best figures by a Pakistan bowler in a Lord’s Test – was hit on the shoulder batting in the nets on Wednesday.

But scans revealed no significant damage and Misbah said: “That was a wake-up call for him. It was a bit of a concern – but after the scan I think he’s okay. So no worries.”

England off-spinner Moeen Ali took just two wickets at Lord’s.

He was milked by Misbah in the first innings, although the veteran batsman did hole out for a duck off Ali second time around.

“I back my ability to attack spinners, and use sweeps. That paid off in the first innings. It’s a match between ball and bat, sometimes you win it, sometimes it’s the ball.”

‘Challenge’

England are set to recall hard-hitting all-rounder Ben Stokes after he missed the first Test with a knee injury.

“[England] can try to attack Yasir, it’s up to them what they want to do,” said Misbah. “We have to be ready for that challenge and Yasir knows that.”

England could also opt to play two spinners by giving a home debut to leg-break bowler Adil Rashid, all of whose three Test appearances to date came against Pakistan in the UAE last year.

“Adil got five wickets in the first Test in the UAE, so we respect whoever is playing,” Misbah said.

Pakistan’s desire to play two spinners had been hampered by off-spinner Mohammad Hafeez’s 12-month suspension for an illegal action last year.

Hafeez has yet to undergo a re-test on his action, with a knee injury during the World Twenty20 in India in March hampering his bowling training.

However, he could undergo a re-test during the gap between the end of the second Test and the start of the third at Edgbaston on August 3.

“That could give us a big advantage, if we have him [bowling] when the opposition have four or five left-handers,” said Misbah.

“He couldn’t work on it before the injury, so now he needs time to get ready before he is tested.”

Both Hafeez and fellow opener Shan Masood struggled against the new ball at Lord’s, with Hafeez’s first-innings 40 the pair’s top score.

“That can happen in these conditions against the new ball,” said Misbah.

“Don’t be impatient, we have to give them confidence and back them. We’ve got to believe they can deliver, that’s the only way.” (AFP)

TAGGED:Cricket
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Recent Posts

Stephen Curry Halle Berry partnership

Stephen Curry Halle Berry Partnership to Launch New Storytelling Projects

Justin Bieber lilbieber 2025

Pakistan US Roosevelt Hotel Redevelopment Agreement Signed

Eric Dane cause of death ALS

Eric Dane Cause of Death ALS: Grey’s Anatomy Star Dies at 53

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

China zero tariff African imports policy
BusinessTop News

China Zero Tariff African Imports Policy to Begin May 2026

3 Min Read
Georgina Rodríguez birthday
Entertainment

Georgina Rodríguez Dream Home Sparks Valentine’s Day Speculation

3 Min Read
Shia LaBeouf Mardi Gras arrest
Entertainment

Shia LaBeouf Mardi Gras Arrest After New Orleans Bar Altercation

2 Min Read
Entertainment

Diana Lapo PFL Ring Girl Goes Viral at Dubai Fight Night

Diana Lapo, PFL ring girl, became an overnight viral sensation after her appearance at the league’s…

February 16, 2026
Sports

Atlanta United Signs Sergio Santos for 2026 MLS Season

Atlanta United signs Sergio Santos for the 2026 MLS season, strengthening its attacking options ahead of…

February 19, 2026
Sports

Lewis Hamilton Silent on George Russell’s Kim Kardashian Joke

Lewis Hamilton and Kim Kardashian continue to gather attention after the Formula One champion declined to…

February 19, 2026
Entertainment

Warner Bros Paramount Merger Talks Resume Amid Netflix Deal

Warner Bros Paramount merger talks have resurfaced as the entertainment giant reconsiders its options amid an…

February 16, 2026
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Categories

  • World
  • Pakistan
  • Punjab
  • Sindh
  • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
  • Balochistan
  • Azad Jammu Kashmir

 

  • Top News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Videos
  • Tech
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Code of Ethics & Editorial Standards

© 2026 Phototnews
All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?