Photonews Logo Photonews logo
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Balochistan
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
    Hunger Games Sunrise on the Reaping trailer
    EntertainmentVideos

    Hunger Games Prequel Trailer Sparks Fan Frenzy Over 10-Second Silent Cliffhanger

    November 21, 2025 3 Min Read
    Billie Eilish Elon Musk
    EntertainmentVideos

    Billie Eilish Criticizes Elon Musk, Calls Billionaire Wealth “Pathetic”

    November 14, 2025 3 Min Read
    Gen V Season 2 trailer
    Videos

    Gen V Season 2 Trailer Cast, Plot, Premiere Details

    July 26, 2025 3 Min Read
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Reading: Indian air base still under attack
PhotoNews PakistanPhotoNews Pakistan
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • Pakistan
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • Gilgit – Baltistan
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Offbeat
  • Blog
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Photonews. All Rights Reserved.
PhotoNews Pakistan > Top News > Indian air base still under attack
Top News

Indian air base still under attack

Web Desk
By Web Desk Published January 3, 2016 3 Min Read
Share
SHARE

Gunfire and blasts were heard on Sunday at an Indian Air Force base attacked by militants a day earlier, as security forces hunted two gunmen still at large in the sprawling facility.

A senior federal police official confirmed the gunmen were still holed up in Pathankot air base in Punjab state, a day after the pre-dawn raid in which four attackers and seven Indian military personnel were killed.

Indian leaders had already praised the armed forces for their heroism in Saturday’s 15-hour shootout, with Prime Minister Narendra Modi saying they did not let the “enemies of humanity” who attacked the base succeed.

But that appeared premature on Sunday, as the operation resumed to secure the air base.

Outside the base, rumours had circulated all morning that more gunmen were still active after Home Minister Rajnath Singh had announced on Saturday that five terrorists had been “neutralised”. The official body count was only four, however.

Military vehicles were seen entering and exiting the walled compound, including a demining vehicle. Dozens of security guards continued their vigil.

One of the Indian security men killed in the attack was Subedar Fateh Singh, who won gold and silver medals in the first Commonwealth Shooting Championships held in 1995, the National Rifle Association of India said.

Most of the Indian military reported killed had retired from active service and belonged to the Defence Security Corps, a unit that staffed by veterans no longer in active service.

“The casualties were unacceptably high,” said Nitin Gokhale, a defence analyst and journalist who said that intelligence on a possible attack had not been circulated in time to alert the sentries at the base.

Police have said the gunmen had earlier hijacked a police officer’s car and driven it to the base. It took 12 hours for information on the hijacking to be circulated, according to news reports, allowing the attackers to keep the initiative.

In New Delhi, two trains were delayed early on Sunday amid heightened security concerns after officials received information about a possible bomb threat on a train running between the capital and Lucknow to the southeast, railways spokesman Neeraj Sharma said.

Trains were deemed safe and were running on schedule by mid-morning, Sharma said. (Reuters)

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

HBL Saving Made Easy
HBL Saving Made Easy

Recent Posts

PlayStation Plus December 2025 games

PlayStation Plus December 2025 Lineup Revealed

Grand Theft Auto US setting

Rockstar Co-Founder Reveals Human Cost Behind GTA 6 Development

Afghani Arrested in Texas for bomb threat

Afghan Evacuee Arrested in Texas for Terror Threat

Post Archives

More Popular from Photonews

Boxer Muhammad Waseem
Sports

Pakistan’s Muhammad Waseem Defends WBA Gold World Title in Lahore

2 Min Read
NADRA’s Pak ID App Makes CNIC Renewal Easy
Uncategorized

NADRA Urges Use of Official Pak-ID App for Secure CNIC Renewal

2 Min Read
Green Cards from 19 Countries After DC Attack
Top NewsWorld

US Announces Review of Green Cards from 19 Countries After DC Attack

2 Min Read
Pakistan

Pakistan Dismisses Taliban Claims of Airstrikes in Afghanistan

The Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) Director General, Lieutenant General Ahmed Sharif Chaudhry, firmly denied accusations from…

November 25, 2025
Business

PIA Approves Allowance Increase for Aircraft Engineers

Pakistan International Airlines has agreed to increase allowances for its aircraft engineers following a prolonged protest…

November 29, 2025
Top NewsWorld

Zelensky Thanks Trump as Ukraine Peace Talks Continue

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky publicly thanked Donald Trump on Sunday. This gesture followed critical comments from…

November 24, 2025
Business

Halal Economy Woth $2.4T Globally

The global halal economy is now valued at over $2.4 trillion annually. This expanding market was…

November 24, 2025
PhotoNews Pakistan

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Categories

  • World
  • Pakistan
  • Punjab
  • Sindh
  • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
  • Balochistan
  • Azad Jammu Kashmir

 

  • Top News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Videos
  • Tech
  • Offbeat
  • Blog

© 2024 Phototnews
All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?